MUDs

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

What other MUDs do you play or have you played?

Armageddon
18%
Atonement
43%
Harshlands
11%
Haven
7%
Parallel
11%
Other - Specify
11%

Total votes: 28

Rishte
The Shadow

MUDs

Post by Rishte » Tue Jul 07, 2015 6:41 pm

What do you like?

What don't you like?

Please be concise, short and sweet.

Justanothacivy
Honored Dwarf

Re: MUDs

Post by Justanothacivy » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:06 pm

Atonement, Parallel, and Arm, Including the original SOI.

Voted Other to include
Things that made me smile:
Icarus wrote:I'm going to kill the next character I see doing stuff like that. I'm not joking.

Rishte
The Shadow

Post by Rishte » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:14 pm

Justanothacivy wrote:Atonement, Parallel, and Arm, Including the original SOI.

Voted Other to include
Name one thing of each you like and one thing of each you do not like.

cfelch
Elf Recruit

Post by cfelch » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:47 am

In Chronological order....

Gemstone III
Dragonrealms
Unwritten Legends
Discworld
Split Infinity
New Worlds Ateraan
Shadows of Isildur
Xiaix

Probably a slew of others I did not linger at for more than a fortnight.
Every point ever made was an argument.

Gobbo
Honored Dwarf

Post by Gobbo » Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:10 pm

Played:

Armageddon:
Like- Lots of options and spheres and players to interact with. You can meet someone new everyday.
Dislike- Broken economy, no staff interaction at all. No driving force behind anything. No plots.

Atonement-
Like-Constant plots, good atmosphere. Constant sweeping changes kept things sweet.
Disliked- Never could throw down roots and play a game of 'life'. Plus atonement ended :(

Parallel-
Like-Not a whole lot stood out. I liked the family conflicts at times.
Disliked- Staff abandonment. Rehashed from atonement. Family politics got stale.

Nedinu
Forum Hobbit

Post by Nedinu » Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:08 pm

Gobbo wrote:Played:

Armageddon:
Like- Lots of options and spheres and players to interact with. You can meet someone new everyday.
Dislike- Broken economy, no staff interaction at all. No driving force behind anything. No plots.

Atonement-
Like-Constant plots, good atmosphere. Constant sweeping changes kept things sweet.
Disliked- Never could throw down roots and play a game of 'life'. Plus atonement ended :(

Parallel-
Like-Not a whole lot stood out. I liked the family conflicts at times.
Disliked- Staff abandonment. Rehashed from atonement. Family politics got stale.
Same sentiments on all of those. I didn't have such luck finding many people on Armageddon, but maybe I played off-hours. Those I did interact with were great though, and I loved how big the game was. I like to explore in games, even if I couldn't make it five minutes outside gates.

I'll add:

Harshlands-
Like-Nothing stood out besides the suprisingly quick staff responses to questions and issues despite the game looking almost dead.
Dislike-Could never find many people to rp with. Didn't notice any plots going on.

SinDome-
Like-Good playerbase. At the time I played it, there was an battle royale-esque event where items and weapons were placed in the city and everyone fought to the death. I really liked it because it gave me a chance to use items and code that I probably never would have seen otherwise. After 24 hours, the server rolled back.
Dislike-I didn't notice any staff plots going on the month I played. It felt stagnant.

EltanimRas
Master Ent

Post by EltanimRas » Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:43 pm

IIRC, Atonement closed less than two weeks after I rolled my first character. I rather wish I hadn't bothered.

As for the rest ...

Arm:
like - exploration & solo-play, wide-variety of open concepts & cultures, abundance of documentation
dislike - character limits on says/emotes, no speech in emotes, class-based skill-branching system, fragmented playerbase

BPII:
like - conceptually interesting religion/magic system, potential for intra-sphere conflict (beyond petty drama), language tags in emotes, rpxp
dislike - terrible documentation, global ooc/tells, multi-playing, unplayably low population (4-5 visible pcs spread across 2 spheres)

Sindome & Haven: haven't tried

Parallel & Harshlands: tried only after populations dropped to unplayable levels

I might try this for the different epochs/spheres of my SoI experience later. ;)