It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:14 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Bog Iron/Resource Progression

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Bog Iron/Resource Progression

Postby Bones » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:07 pm

So, the main 'metal' resource we have is Bog Iron. I would be extremely curious to know how much each step up from ore it takes, all the way up to refined iron.

Why, you ask? Supplies are likely to improve in the coming weeks, and it would be good to establish some sort of actual value for goods. We've got players selling goods for anywhere from half the cost, to in some cases NPC standard, which is the set item value.

IE: Loggers selling logs to the Lodge in town get anywhere from 5-20cp a log. Those same logs are then for sale at 100+cp.

There are various ways to get resources. But the problem I feel is that some things are made unreasonably out of reach, due to price hiking.

So to summarize:

How many chunks of ore for a basic bog ore ingot. And then how many of X to progress up the ladder.

Balancing ideas.

Etc.

Go!
Nimrod banned me for 7 days.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Re: Bog Iron/Resource Progression

Postby Faroukel » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:18 pm

To get started:

pitted-bog-iron = 3 iron ore chunks
bog-iron = 6
iron = 24+ (12 chunks to start, then at the least 4 progession crafts of 3 chunks each to complete ingot)
"Youse maggoty lout! Get'cher arse on da move an' quit youse yappin!"
Faroukel
Honored Dwarf

Postby twitchyweasel » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:25 pm

Afaik, the only difference between bog iron and refined iron is weight. Economically speaking, there is very little reason to make refined iron.

I know that this isn't on topic, at all. Just something I wanted to point out.
Last edited by twitchyweasel on Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twitchyweasel
Dwarf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:26 pm

twitchyweasel wrote:Afaik, the only difference between bog iron and refined iron is weight. Economically speaking, there is very little reason to make refined iron.

The difference between encumbered, lightly-encumbered, and unencumbered is always a reason to make refined iron if you can manage it.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Faroukel » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:28 pm

There's also skill changes due to metal type.

pitted-bog-iron will reduce deflect
bog-iron stays neutral
iron improves deflect

The weight change is also considerable.

going from a pitted-bog-iron hauberk to iron is a difference of some 20 lbs.

I think there's a change to the object quality in regards to damage as well? Iron is hardier than pitted, which will go to worn and damaged status more quickly and take damage easier.
"Youse maggoty lout! Get'cher arse on da move an' quit youse yappin!"
Faroukel
Honored Dwarf

Postby krelm » Wed Aug 02, 2017 2:46 pm

Back when I played 3 years ago, bog/refined also determined damage (I think a measely +/- 1).
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Tykanis » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:08 am

The level to which it was made/refined to can mitigate some of the disadvantages to the selected iron type. I believe I still have a chart from a year or so ago, not certain on its accuracy now however.
You finish eating a green and brown mushroom. You still feel hungry
eat belly-rot
You feel a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach as the mushrooms hit.
You are hungry.
You are starving!
You finish eating a belly-rot mushroom.
You are starving!
Tykanis
Honored Dwarf

Postby trevalyan » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:31 am

Some more balancing ideas:

1) How about implements made from inferior metal suffering from increased durability penalties? So weapons and armor made from pitted bog iron being broken faster than weapons made from refined iron. Assuming that's not the case already.

2) I'd love to see price hiking brought to manageable levels, especially for low-cost items sold by the Lodge. Even a simple wooden bin, which has the wood from a single log and the materials from 1/6 of a pocked bog ingot retails for 100 coppers (?!) And it's also an entry level craft for woodworkers. In terms of economic balance, this would have to be addressed for smiths as well.

3) Remember, many, many smiths with Amateur level Metalcraft stand an excellent chance of failing higher-level checks: even other Amateur level checks. If that fails, a lot of iron ore could be entirely wasted. This is partly due to ore being consumed before the craft check occurs, and partly due to people aiming higher than their skill levels can reasonably expect to reach on a consistent basis.
trevalyan
Unverified User

Postby krelm » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:35 pm

The last time I checked (so like 4 years ago) I (am pretty sure that I) remember crappy bog iron did change the quality of weapons/armor, though I don't THINK it changed the amount of damage an item took. So if you had a pitted bog iron sword, and a refined bog iron sword, they'd take the same amount of damage from stuff, but the pitted one would break faster.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby tehkory » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:46 pm

krelm wrote:The last time I checked (so like 4 years ago) I (am pretty sure that I) remember crappy bog iron did change the quality of weapons/armor, though I don't THINK it changed the amount of damage an item took. So if you had a pitted bog iron sword, and a refined bog iron sword, they'd take the same amount of damage from stuff, but the pitted one would break faster.

No Damage Resistance, but a bigger health pool. And also lighter. Iron's worth it enough as-is that it doesn't need further buffs, though the cost of everything is a little wonky currently.
ETA: Hopefully some competititon human-side changes that.
tehkory
Master Ent

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login