It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:50 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Labor Costs

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Labor Costs

Postby Calypso » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:12 pm

I've been pondering something for a while now. And either I'm blind and haven't seen it on the Wiki, or anywhere else.. or it's just not been discussed as of yet.

What do you think is reasonable to charge per hour of labor on a given craft.

Say for example that you are making a badass mail hauberk, every step of the process takes time. For every RL hour, that's 4 IG hours spent upon the task. Is 2-3cp lowballing for labor costs, or do you think it's around the average mark? (So it'd make 1 RL hour on our timers = 8-12cp in labor fees)

Thoughts? Higher, lower? Does the usefulness of the item account for how much is charged in labor fees?

And.. Talk!
Calypso
Verified Member

Re: Labor Costs

Postby Tykanis » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:23 pm

I believe most people take into account the cost of supplies, and the quality when pricing things rather than hourly labor charges as not everyone has access to time telling devices aside from wow the sun is above my head or not visible. Thus giving more of a flat cost than an hourly.
You finish eating a green and brown mushroom. You still feel hungry
eat belly-rot
You feel a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach as the mushrooms hit.
You are hungry.
You are starving!
You finish eating a belly-rot mushroom.
You are starving!
Tykanis
Honored Dwarf

Postby Knight26 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:48 pm

It's entirely up to you how you charge your product.

In the past with crafting characters I had always just charged a flat rate which would be inclusive of materials, time, labor and delivery. That will be 900 coppers, thanks. Easy transaction for you and I.
Knight26
Forum Hobbit

It's The Economy, Stupid

Postby tehkory » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:57 pm

Knight26 wrote:It's entirely up to you how you charge your product.

In the past with crafting characters I had always just charged a flat rate which would be inclusive of materials, time, labor and delivery. That will be 900 coppers, thanks. Easy transaction for you and I.

Tykanis wrote:I believe most people take into account the cost of supplies, and the quality when pricing things rather than hourly labor charges as not everyone has access to time telling devices aside from wow the sun is above my head or not visible. Thus giving more of a flat cost than an hourly.

Neither of these quotes are really answering the quesiton asked. They're nice, and the first is more right than the second, but...the person is asking what's OOCly fair to other players.

The interesting thing about crafting is that your skill timers are dependant upon your skill--a 720-minute craft will never cost you 720 minutes. A 360-minute craft at Master, for example, is about 210 minutes or so long(doing two of them nets me seven hours of timers, not ten), so the higher skilled a person is, the more them charging "by the hour" is actually something of a joke, and the more crafts they can push out. That's a good thing, but IG prices are insane right now.

The best way to judge what you should charge per hour is to look at hunting and woodworking(and maybe foraging, but prices for that are a joke).

These are the only things in-game that you can easily get an assessment of what a craft-hour is "worth," as they can earn coin without involving PCs. A woodworker-player will have to post(or PM me the deets, and I can post) as to what you can actually do with a crafting timer.

The bumper crop for hunting, the standard which all other hunts can be measured against? That's flush stag/flush buck(same craft, same production, but there's two of them for some reason). You spend 360 minutes(you don't) and get 23 coppers, or 4.6 coppers per crafting hour. Everything else codedly falls to the wayside compared to this, with boars having the same and earning you probably 8 coppers IIRC, or about 1.3 coppers per crafting hour. I'll edit this to add timberwright if somebody gives me the crafting hours and profit on selling logs.

Now, actual armour/weaponmaking skills require 2-3 times the vs woodworking(wood/metal/weapon, or leather/metal/armor), so it's probably fair they charge more. Hunting is a little less certain, as the actual investment in weapon/gear and skills is probably higher, but c'est la vie, hunting is probably for twinks. Still. How much should you be charging per hour if you're being realistic? More than five coppers per crafting hour or more is probably gouging prices economically.

ETA: In essence, if someone plays enough to use 24 crafting hours per RL day(easiest to do with timberwright, probably), how much money do you think they should make per day? 5 coppers per hour is 36 gold a RL month. Given that your craft timers are never going to be what they say they are, and become roughly half that at master? That's more than enough.
Last edited by tehkory on Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Faroukel » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:59 pm

If you wanna get rich...timberwright.
"Youse maggoty lout! Get'cher arse on da move an' quit youse yappin!"
Faroukel
Honored Dwarf

Postby Bones » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:12 pm

I agree that prices are insane right now. The only point where it makes sense for prices to be high, are metal goods.. And there's a current active fix that should A, open up ore for all, and B, put some coin in the pockets of two or three certain clans.

But when you get 5-10 coppers a log from say, the Lodge NPC, and then you offer to supply someone else logs at 1/3rd the cost of what the Lodge then sells that log for.. (100-200cp).. That gets ridiculous. Makes it impossible for anyone to buy things.
Nimrod banned me for 7 days.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby Frigga » Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:17 pm

Certain things were set at higher prices when there were different ways we had been testing/trying paying people for stuffs. I/We will no doubt start looking over some of the prices to work on balancing stuff.

I have peeking at log prices and some of the timber crafts on the radar.
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login