It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:47 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Discord

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Should we have an official Discord Channel?

Yes
81%
No
12%
Abstain
8%

Total votes : 26

Discord

Postby Nimrod » Fri Aug 04, 2017 7:21 am

Should we have an official SoI Discord Channel? Feel free to discuss and give your opinion.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Re: Discord

Postby Bones » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:18 am

I would rather have discord and hard feelings brought to light, rather than allow them to fester in darkness.
Nimrod banned me for 7 days.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby Tykanis » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:19 am

I personally love discord and admin a few of my own. Its a great way for people to get together in things that aren't purely the mud such a steam games but also to have the ability to banter a bit.
You finish eating a green and brown mushroom. You still feel hungry
eat belly-rot
You feel a sinking feeling in the pit of your stomach as the mushrooms hit.
You are hungry.
You are starving!
You finish eating a belly-rot mushroom.
You are starving!
Tykanis
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nimrod » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:44 pm

I had my first experience with Discord the other night with one of our admins. I can see how this would be fun, but for me it's just a huge distraction during normal online time. I have to concentrate to be able to get things done and trying to talk at the same time just won't work for me.

With that said, I can also see how this would be great for a meet and greet, or player meetings.

I'm not fully convinced, but am willing to give a player meeting a try with this technology. In order to do that, I need someone that's willing to act as Moderator and help us out with this.

Any volunteers?
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Bones » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:54 pm

I volunteer. I'm pretty neutral, in that none of you like me too terribly much!

Seriously though. I volunteer.
Nimrod banned me for 7 days.
Bones
Elf Recruit

Postby Calypso » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:58 pm

I could give it a go and create a server, if you'd all like.

I think that's how Discord works. Heh.
Calypso
Verified Member

Postby Tykanis » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:00 pm

I can volunteer as well, I could probably even set up a bot to help with it too.
eat belly-rot
You are hungry.
You are starving!
You are starving!
Tykanis
Honored Dwarf

Postby Trakel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:57 pm

I can also volunteer for this.

More and more I find myself wanting a Discord channel just to talk about OOC things in a chat channel than through forum posts. I have experience with setting Discord servers up, having done them for MMO guilds in the past.

I am keeping an eye on this thread with piqued interest.
Trakel
Verified Member

Postby Tykanis » Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:19 pm

I could even setup the discord quickly or wipe one of my numerous ones of players and altering it to fit any and all criteria you set if need-be.
eat belly-rot
You are hungry.
You are starving!
You are starving!
Tykanis
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nimrod » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:52 pm

Okay... so I want the person who is best with discord for this. I know next to nothing about it, and want to know next to nothing. Would it be possibly for you to work together and form a single channel that you could moderate together?

Some things I want for admin / player meetings, is the ability to log in and take questions. I'm not sure if there's a way for the moderator to mute everyone but staff members and then let folks talk one at a time to ask their questions, or do so through text.

Also, I think recording the sessions for future reference would be good as well. Is that a thing?

The other main thing is just making sure folks are not giving away IC information when the channel is up and running when we're not doing a meeting.

I really have zero time to devote to something like this, so it's going to be a player-run initiative and I'll recognize it as being our official channel as long as things don't get out of hand.

Do you think this can be done?
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Trakel » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:03 pm

Nimrod wrote:Okay... so I want the person who is best with discord for this. I know next to nothing about it, and want to know next to nothing. Would it be possibly for you to work together and form a single channel that you could moderate together?

Some things I want for admin / player meetings, is the ability to log in and take questions. I'm not sure if there's a way for the moderator to mute everyone but staff members and then let folks talk one at a time to ask their questions, or do so through text.

Also, I think recording the sessions for future reference would be good as well. Is that a thing?

The other main thing is just making sure folks are not giving away IC information when the channel is up and running when we're not doing a meeting.

I really have zero time to devote to something like this, so it's going to be a player-run initiative and I'll recognize it as being our official channel as long as things don't get out of hand.

I think a majority of this can be done quite simply. Perhaps the only non-trivial thing would be creating logs of the meetings. It would be possible for instance to allow everyone who wanted to participate in the meeting into a voice channel, but restricting the ability to talk only towards those that are answering questions.

Questions could then be asked through a text channel that's designated as such while remaining heavily moderated. Using this method would enable the ability to easily record questions, but answers would have to be documented through a notebook or third-party recording software.

As for IC information, that will just take moderation work from whoever would be interested in participating in that.

I am currently unaware of any function within Discord that would make such recordings done through the program itself, but I am not claiming to be an expert on the subject either. ;)
Trakel
Verified Member

Postby tehkory » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:12 pm

Nimrod wrote:Okay... so I want the person who is best with discord for this. I know next to nothing about it, and want to know next to nothing. Would it be possibly for you to work together and form a single channel that you could moderate together?

Having been on discord, all of these are rather easy and possible through the use of multiple text channels on a single Discord server, and I've seen other MUDs achieve what you're asking for easily enough.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Trakel » Mon Aug 14, 2017 11:30 pm

I've created a very rough first start that I am completely willing to allow someone else to manage. Since this is only a rough start,

https://discord.gg/T6DWhx

Is a temporary link that will last for 24 hours. Should this become permanent, I will (or someone else) can create a permanent link. If someone else can do better, which I have no doubt there is, feel free to create your own. That being said, I will grant permissions that are fitting to those who wish to help modify the server.

As of right now there are two roles, Staff and Moderators - beyond the "everyone" role. Staff are akin to server administrators, while moderators have access to powers that are fitting of that title.

Just a rough start, mind you!
Trakel
Verified Member

Postby Frigga » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:06 am

I haven't seen any way to record the voice aspect of Discord so while it could be used for informal stuff, I'd say official player type meetings that need a recoverable/readable log we'd have to do old school style in the Guest Lounge.
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Knight26 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:12 am

Third party audio recording software is easily available.
Knight26
Forum Hobbit

Postby Frigga » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:37 am

Alright, folks, I joined the Discord channel posted, and I do indeed have the app on my phone, so I can sort of keep an eye on stuff.

So while we are testing to see how this goes, see above.
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Faroukel » Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:53 pm

Good job Trakel.

Discord's pretty cool.
"Youse maggoty lout! Get'cher arse on da move an' quit youse yappin!"
Faroukel
Honored Dwarf

Postby MackDazzler » Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:42 am

You will need to post another invite, but set the link so that it doesn't expire.
MackDazzler
Forum Hobbit

Postby Nimrod » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:30 am

MackDazzler wrote:You will need to post another invite, but set the link so that it doesn't expire.

https://discord.gg/Z4pfPuX
Nimrod
Game Lead

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login