It is currently Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:41 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Mission

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Mission

Postby Nimrod » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:18 am

I'm bringing this straight to you, dear player, to ask your opinion and gain your insight.

I've taken a huge turn in how I believe this game should be run. In the past, I was a huge supporter of 'The Veil', the wall between staff and players that it allowed you to become more submersed in your play. I still believe that The Veil should exist in the game itself, i.e. we let you play and don't interfere and keep to the background while you do your thing.

On the other hand, I do believe that we need to open communication with you on the out-of-character side of things. Hence our re-opening the forums and creating the Discord Channel. The collective experience and intelligence of our playerbase is something that we need to take advantage of and learn from.

To that end, I propose the following Mission, Vision and Values statements. I'm trying to keep them pithy and on-point. Please respond to let us know if you think we're on the right track.

Our Mission Statement: (Why we are here, our intent)
To empower players to tell the story that only they can tell, and to collaborate in the telling without spoiling the experience of earning what they seek.

Our Vision Statement: (What we want to be in ten years)
To provide a fully functional world in which players may have the freedom to contribute in a meaningful manner to the overall story.

Our Values Statement: (What we belive in and how we'll behave)
Avoid the appearance of all wrong-doing. Put ourselves in player's shoes and strive to say YES whenever possible. Respectfully provide personal attention to every player. Avoid interference when our help is not needed or wanted. Respect players personal styles.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Re: Mission

Postby Pinklepea » Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:56 pm

Anyone who has been around this game for any length of time knows that I'm a very outspoken and often negative person. When I heard you saying more or less this same post via voice chat on Discord a few nights ago, my first instinct was skepticism. I and many others have been hurt before by this MUD and this administration's decisions or lack thereof and frankly, I am afraid to hope for the best because I'm always expecting the worst.

That being said, I have seen steps taken in a positive direction recently. I have seen owning up to some of the wrongs, attempts to make them right or at least not repeat them, and even apologies. That's a far cry from the blame, resentment, retaliation, and defensiveness that we're used to dealing with as players.

I'm in full agreement with the openness and communication part of your mission and I think it's already working to help us move forward. There's a lot of things that I want to say, but really, I want to say that I'm proud of everyone in this community for what I've seen going on here and how well we are communicating like grown-ups. It's fantastic.
Vorondil: Nimrod will run me over with his tractor if I do
Pinklepea
Forum Hobbit

Postby Nimrod » Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:36 pm

Pinklepea wrote:Anyone who has been around this game for any length of time knows that I'm a very outspoken and often negative person. When I heard you saying more or less this same post via voice chat on Discord a few nights ago, my first instinct was skepticism. I and many others have been hurt before by this MUD and this administration's decisions or lack thereof and frankly, I am afraid to hope for the best because I'm always expecting the worst.

I hear you. I'm only asking that you give it your all, because I'm giving it mine. I'm not going to make sweeping promises and talk about what we are planning on doing. We want to show you what we're doing and prove ourselves every day.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Icristhus » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:04 pm

Speaking as someone slowly thinking about crawling out of the woodwork of inactivity and ennui, this looks like it could be a step in the right direction.

I've long been against the idea of too strong a veil between players and staff; it's too easy to fall into an us vs them mindset on both sides, when the power dynamic and communication are too one way.

Are you willing to share what changed your mind on this point? Not obligatory, but I'm curious.
Icristhus
Forum Hobbit

Postby Nimrod » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:51 am

Icristhus wrote:Are you willing to share what changed your mind on this point? Not obligatory, but I'm curious.

I think the tipping point was Rishte. She was merely doing what we asked her to do, and in the end, unfortunately, she became seen as the enemy by many players. I feel horribly bad about this. I abandoned her for several months (though I was still around in the background working on code and whatnot), but I was not on the player port. She was forced to make decisions that she should have never had to by my not being around. She did the best she could with what she had. I'll forever regret not being able to salvage our relationship, I take full responsibility.

Also, listening to what players have been saying for the last decade and growing older. I like to think I'm a passably intelligent person, but I also believe that there a are a lot of more intelligent people out there and a lot of you play this game. As I've grown older and matured (laughable, right), I think I've grown to understand that, like Jon Snow, I know nothing.

I also have the benefit of looking back on a number of administrations and how they've tried to do things. The common theme for them all is that they had a very specific vision of what they wanted the game to be and how players should play. I've always been a 'live and let-live' kind of person, but yet have never applied that to my administration. Until now.

I firmly believe that trying to control players and make them conform to what we believe is the right way to play is insanity. We can, however, form a very loose set of rules that players need to abide by and still give them freedom to do what they want.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Songweaver » Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:52 pm

I like this.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Nimrod » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:16 pm

Songweaver wrote:I like this.

OMG. We're doomed.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Rivean » Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:33 pm

I am incredibly heartened by this.

Reading this post has tipped me over the fence and I will do all I can to play and to stick with the game till we once again resemble what I remember from oh so many years ago (rose-tinted nostalgia notwithstanding).
Rivean
Honored Elf

Postby Brian » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:15 pm

Rivean wrote:I am incredibly heartened by this.

Reading this post has tipped me over the fence and I will do all I can to play and to stick with the game till we once again resemble what I remember from oh so many years ago (rose-tinted nostalgia notwithstanding).

Reading this post ^ has tipped me over the fence and now I too will do all I can to play and to stick with the game till we resemble what I remember from oh so many years ago. Not right away, I have some time sensitive things I need to do first but...damn you Rivean!
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby EltanimRas » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:55 pm

OMG. We're doomed.

Did someone say this already?
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login