It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 10:41 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Listen / talk / tmote questions

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Listen / talk / tmote questions

Postby EltanimRas » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:51 am

1. Now that we don't have a listen/eavesdrop skill, does that mean our PCs' ability to overhear conversations will never improve? We'll always get just a few scattered words?

(I remember the days when I could hear everything ... >sigh<)

2. Help tmote says, "Messages made with tmote will only be visible to members of your group or those seated at the same table." Does this mean that people not at your table won't see the EMOTE part of a tmote, or only that SPEECH in tmotes goes through whatever the current incarnation of the listen code is?

3. Given the answers to the above, what is the current OOC etiquette surrounding these commands?

If memory serves, in the old days, TALK was (while a very bad idea for the kind of secrets that could get your PC killed), generally preferred over SAY/TELL - it cut down on the subjective spam for people who didn't have a high listen skill, but typically still let enough through to give people RP openings & keep them from (necessarily) feeling OOCly excluded. (And, of course, it rewarded people who had stuck around long enough to level up their listen skill.)

But nowadays, if other people's ability to eavesdrop is anywhere near as bad as mine (and possibly unimprovable to boot?), I feel like I'm better off using SAY/TELL/EMOTE if I want to give people not at my table any chance to jump in.

I certainly don't see the old assumption that if you don't use TALK, your PC is being RP'd as unusually loud, having a voice that carries, etc.

Thoughts, insights, recommendations?
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Re: Listen / talk / tmote questions

Postby EltanimRas » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:07 pm

EltanimRas wrote:2. Help tmote says, "Messages made with tmote will only be visible to members of your group or those seated at the same table." Does this mean that people not at your table won't see the EMOTE part of a tmote, or only that SPEECH in tmotes goes through whatever the current incarnation of the listen code is?

Got some help to test this part in game, at least; it's the latter.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login