It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:14 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Easterlings

Easterlings

Game Story - The Easterlings

A player-driven initiative to create and document SoI's newest race.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Game Story - The Easterlings

Postby Faroukel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:52 am

Hi all,

Thought I'd put together a lil suggestion as to the 'game story' behind Easterling implementation.

I know there's been some talk regards metaplots in the last player/staff meeting, and this is also somewhat tied in there.

Why are the Easterlings in the game?

Here's a big question to be answered. Why have these people showed up on Utterby's doorstep? What kind of goals do they have? Who made them come, and what are they supposed to do?

Here's the suggestion I have, for implementation as a game metaplot.

The Easterlings Push Abroad

It's been 400 years of harsh living, since the Easterlings faced defeat in Calenardhon, where the hordes of Balchoth easterlings nearly destroyed the armies of the Steward Cirion, and would have changed the face of Gondor if not for rescue the Éothéod.

The Easterlings would taste vengeance some years later, when they would kill King Eorl in battle, but the taste was bittersweet.

It's been 400, long, arduous years of nomadic living on the great plains of Rhun. But change is in the wind. The great Shadow is spreading over the grasslands, visions are received by the elders, omens predicted by the shamans, and it all points to war, and a return to glory.

In 2941, Sauron will reclaim Mordor, but for all to go as planned, the eyes of Men and Elves must point elsewhere. Diversions and distractions are needed, so he sets his will to firing up the war spirit of his subjugated Easterlings. For too long have they been oppressed. For too long have they starved, while the west suckles itself on its riches and plenty. For too long have they been spurned as the lesser cousin of greater Men, and now, they must claim their place as lord and master of fertile land and fellow men.

Gondor has been withdrawing its hold and power from the regions around Dorwinion and Rhun for nearly 1200 years, since the Great Plague of 1636, which ravaged the land for nearly 200 years. This has not gone unnoticed, and after a long silence from the east, the Easterling forces marshaled in near secrecy to pour over the lands of Dorwinion.

The Dorwinions may try valiantly, but everything is against them as they try to defend against the concentrated might of the Easterlings. Many of that people start to flee, refugees streaming into the lands of Rhovanion. Orcs are marshaling in the Mirkwood, with an unseen power growing in strength within the dark forest.

As war progresses in Dorwinion, the vanguard of the Easterlings starts to muster along the edges of Rhovanion. The Easterlings will reclaim these lands, which were stolen from them hundreds of years ago. They will take their place as lords of men, enslaving those who fall before them. They must make haste, for the greater war to come, whether their orkish allies are ready or not.
"Youse maggoty lout! Get'cher arse on da move an' quit youse yappin!"
Faroukel
Honored Dwarf

Re: Game Story - The Easterlings

Postby EltanimRas » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:18 am

Faroukel wrote:The Dorwinions may try valiantly, but everything is against them as they try to defend against the concentrated might of the Easterlings. Many of that people start to flee, refugees streaming into the lands of Rhovanion. Orcs are marshaling in the Mirkwood, with an unseen power growing in strength within the dark forest.

As war progresses in Dorwinion, the vanguard of the Easterlings starts to muster along the edges of Rhovanion.

I don't know how many Dorwinion PCs are currently in-game, but since the current wiki doesn't describe a war-ravaged country being fled by refugees, it seems possible that some backstory conflict could arise.

Perhaps localizing this idea to the far northern reaches of Dorwinion would be one way to try and avoid that situation?
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Faroukel » Mon Sep 11, 2017 10:22 am

You'd be right in that there really isn't any canon conflict that's directly written about in this regard, and the current fanon isn't indicative towards war between the two.

However, it would make sense for Dorwinion to be the first stop on an Easterling route, due to them being a lesser 'country' to conquer with a sizeable population as opposed to Rhovanion.

With Sauron theoretically moving into Mordor in the next 20 years, I thought the diversion/distraction angle was pretty suitable as well.

There are currently Dorwinions in-game, but this would also help explain and influx of Dorwinions, should they be lowered to 1 rpp.
Faroukel
Honored Dwarf

Postby EltanimRas » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:09 am

I'm not opposed the idea, just suggesting limiting serious impact and/or "streams of refugees" to some specified or unspecified PART of Dorwinion (large or small), so that old PCs and new PCs don't end up with conflicting backstories.

:nom:
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Nimrod » Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:01 pm

Frigga is our resident expert on Dorwinions. I'll drop her a PM and point her to this thread so she can comment.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Frigga » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:18 am

Here's the fourth time I've tried writing this and hopefully my Wifi agrees with me this time.

I agree that making it sound too apocalyptic (pouring over the land) at least at the moment we might want to slightly tone down, that being said, I'd agree that yes, that the Easterlings are beginning again to push into the area makes sense, building up for what we know will be an invasion of Rhovanion (and thus we can assume also Dorwinion) by Men loyal to Sauron by the War of the Ring.

(There will be during the War of the Ring another Battle of Dale wherein a descendant of Bard fights and dies.)

So, I can imagine with some slight tweaking this could be worked into the docs/game lore about what's happening in Dorwinion. The Easterlings are starting up trouble again.

It would also make sense as to why most of the Dorwinions we are seeing are the poor etc - the only real walled city (Vincaer) and the rich inside of it, are likely paying them off to go away and do something else.

So, pursuant to such, can we have this go hand in hand with getting some consensus on distilling stuff suggested here:

viewtopic.php?f=43&t=3108

To come up with our story of who is invading and why? I think we should decide those things at the same time and get the story established?

Are there any last thoughts (or major protests) about using that stuff from that thread?
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Faroukel » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:01 am

I agree Frigga.

Will take some time tonight to put some thoughts together.

Maybe a Discord meeting re: Easterling fanon discuss!?
Faroukel
Honored Dwarf

Postby Frigga » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:05 pm

I'm happy to coordinate one of those with interested folks if they wish, send me a note on Discord and we could arrange a time.
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Faroukel » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:30 pm

On it!
Faroukel
Honored Dwarf

Postby PhocsM » Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:30 pm

I added the content table and some sections to set the same kind of structure like the other races pages have, i.e: quick tips and what would other PCs know.
All of those are filled with info from the page but will need a revision for sure.
"A lithe, magic orange fox with a maniacal grin stares at you with beady eyes"
PhocsM
Forum Hobbit

Return to Easterlings

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login