Change font size

General Discussion

Travel/Camp Objects

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Travel/Camp Objects

Postby Faroukel » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:10 am

Hi all,

Was wondering if we could discuss the creation of travel objects.

These are basically object with a room prog. People can enter them and log off in a safe place, similar to tent code. They can also be picked up and carried to a new location, moving the people with them.

These are great for multi-day rpts. People who want to join log off in the object before the rpt commences. They can then be carried to the 'start point' and exit the object to join other players. When they have to leave, they log off in the object and return to home when the rpt is over, carrying a vnpc presence.

I haven't written a prog in forever, but basically from what I understand would need to check the room number if on the 'ground', and if in a players hand, the players room number. They can also be set to notake, and moved by admins at the start and end of rpts.

One of the big issues I have with rpt'ing is more often than not there's just not enough time to do the travel to location, perform the event, and return all within a single roleplay session. It's too hard to coordinate multiple players to get together at same time to do multi day rpt sessions. I think this would resolve those issues, and also provide a 'base camp' for non-combat related pcs to hang out, meaning more the merrier excursions.

Approvals? Naysayers? Go..

(and yes, this idea is from Harshlands)
"Youse maggoty lout! Get'cher arse on da move an' quit youse yappin!"
Honored Dwarf

Re: Travel/Camp Objects

Postby seenmycorpseanywhere » Fri Feb 16, 2018 2:02 pm

I like the idea. For stragglers like me it would solve many problems. Making it notake would probably be a must, too. Sort of a minibase, more mobile and 'use and throw away' than forts (which are not operational at the moment, anyway)
Forum Hobbit

Postby PhocsM » Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:01 pm

I like the idea. I usually struggle to be at the set time, also non-combat PCs in the base could be useful to give support.
"A lithe, magic orange fox with a maniacal grin stares at you with beady eyes"
Forum Hobbit

Postby MrT2G » Fri Feb 16, 2018 7:46 pm

I've always liked the idea of allowing players the flexibility to branch off of the main population centers and set up temporary living locations.

Though, I know there have always been code-related issues with these sorts of things in the past.
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
Elf Recruit

Postby Real » Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:39 pm

I like this idea, very much.

It shouldn't be overtly difficult to build rooms much like the apartments or boat IG that are traversable by players. Or the old orc forest camp.
Everything gets smaller now the further that I go
Towards the mouth and the reunion of the known and the unknown
Consider yourself lucky if you think of it as home
You can move mountains with your misery if you don't
Elf Recruit

Postby Pinklepea » Sun Feb 18, 2018 5:32 pm

Tents. They used to exist and the only word that I can possibly use to describe them is "nightmare".

I'm not sure that I'd like to trade game stability (see: bow use and frequa-crashes) for a minor convenience that could/was used in horribly twinkish ways.

But I'm always a naysayer on everything.

I agree with your idea for making RPTs easier/more accessible and am glad you're being proactive.
Vorondil: Nimrod will run me over with his tractor if I do
Forum Hobbit

Return to General Discussion