It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 5:20 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Resquest from an exploration addict.

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Resquest from an exploration addict.

Postby MrDvAnt » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:42 am

I'd like to request tons of super secret places and things to be found in the game. I'm definitely the explorer gamer archtype. I tend to lose many characters to going where I shouldn't, but I love doing it. :D
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Re: Resquest from an exploration addict.

Postby Octavius » Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:27 pm

We are totally with you. :)

Alpha will be a limited map because it is Alpha.

We will be controlling "spheres" as centers of play with emphasis on keeping populated, civilized areas consolidated to ensure player mass.

We will then support expansive explorable areas. Nimrod's first passion was to make and design the mega-map and develop the generator to help make it feasible. This is the project Icarus mentioned for player help as we prepare for Open, so it is likely that player-submitted locations will find their way throughout the map.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby MrDvAnt » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:01 pm

Awesome. I can't wait. ...really. Hurry up. ;)
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Octavius » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:18 pm

I will open myself to player submitted locales. These should be:

* Single rooms in the expanse of Mirkwood that describe a particular feature

* mini-locales that fit within a small area (assume big rooms are a mile), are contained, and consist of less than five room descriptions. A place a hermit once livrd, something remaining and decayed now from the past age when elves built there, a natural feature ofspecial interest, a cave with evidence of various inhabitants over time, etc.

Send it all to me in one PM and you may find parts of it used someday as you explore. ;)

Edit:
I would like room descriptions to be four to six lines, evocative and well written. They should hint at the following:
How was this location first created and if by beings for what purpose? Are there signs showing why that changed (abandoned in state, fire, battle and bloodshed, etc.)? What evidence is left to show later uses?
Consider sight, smell sounds, etc.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby Throttle » Sun Jan 26, 2014 1:39 pm

What is this room auto-generator or whatever it is? I'm instinctively wary of anything auto-generated because it tends to mean shitty, low-quality content that doesn't match the rest, but if you guys have something that works better, I'd like to hear more about it.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Octavius » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:12 pm

The tool has potential.

Like all tools, it has a GIGO issue (garbage in, garbage out).

Keep plugged in with Icarus (per the Need Any Help? thread) as he announced there that he intends to use player-input and assistance to help make sure that high-quality input begets high-quality output before we use it to prep for Open.

That said, we will still need cool mini-locales. So PM me your good ideas fully described. :)
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby MrDvAnt » Mon Jan 27, 2014 12:44 am

I'll send you some stuff in the next couple days. I don't get much quiet time on the weekends due to having a wife and three children. The weekdays are my "me" days since I work at home. :)
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Taurgalas » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:49 pm

Just to tease you, anything I'm involved in building will always have at least one secret added. Why? Because I get bored otherwise. :D And I'm not going to tell you what I'm helping with. So make sure your explorer hats are worn! I will expect deaths. :lol:
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 27, 2014 4:54 pm

Please no surprise death traps.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Taurgalas » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:31 pm

No, no. I'm cruel, not sadistic. :twisted:
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Matt » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:07 pm

It's been done on the old SOI and I never understood why someone would do that on a RPI.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Octavius » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:00 am

Matt wrote:It's been done on the old SOI and I never understood why someone would do that on a RPI.

I would keep in mind the idea that "not all easter eggs are filled with candy." :)

Just because something CAN be explored doesn't mean it SHOULD be explored, especially if there are strong hints of it being a bad idea in the description.

If we have a policy that there will be NO death traps, then players get too confident that exploring should be a safe activity. I want players to live in fear a bit, so that their characters do, too. Characters SHOULD be cautious and afraid going into the unknown. If their players have OOC confidence, then the characters start acting reckless without consequence.

Expect to have hazards that will be deadly, sometimes even certainly deadly, but that are properly scary-sounding in their descriptions. Jumping into fall rooms because "there has to be a coded way out or it is not fair" is not advised. Look before you leap. If you can't scan the other side, expect it to be scary and unknown. :twisted:

TLDR: Expect surprises. Expect death traps. Probably not surprise death traps.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby Matt » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:46 am

Fall rooms you can see are one thing but surprise falls to your death are another.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Octavius » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:04 pm

Noted.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby Letters » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:40 pm

Room descriptions could be very ambiguous indeed, and if a room exit wasn't colour-coded properly, it could lead to a character leaping from a cliff-top without the player having any such intention.

It might be a good idea to perhaps have fall exits in red, climb exits in a different colour, plus the yellow for roads and blue for water. Or maybe a toggle for a letter to show indicating something unusual about an exit, for those who play without colour enable and the visually impaired.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Octavius » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:03 pm

Fall rooms are colored Red. To prevent errors, they also prompt you "are you sure? Type !" just in case. Climb rooms are a bit nefarious.

When using Climb Rooms deliberately, I usually describe them as pretty sheer surfaces (after all, they're so steep they don't even hold items). If I put them somewhere as more of a surprise, it is generally not deadly and with an alternative exit. When you are writing little areas and features, that guideline would work for me if you used it.

So, as a reminder, please send in your described features and interesting areas by PM. :)
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby cfelch » Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:26 am

I wanna go totally parkour on your build.
Every point ever made was an argument.
cfelch
Elf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Wed Jan 29, 2014 8:12 am

I'll make sure Octavius doesn't kill you all ;)

One of our builders made a thirty room pit-of-death in the middle of the forest. The rdescs described how you would die. I removed it and replaced it with an evil forbidden temple of doom.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Taurgalas » Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:16 am

Hmmm... does this mean my All Worship The Tree With Sacrificial Deaths area is out due to redundancy? :evil:

Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Icarus » Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:18 pm

I'm always for evil trees. ;)
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Octavius » Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:06 am

I will give a cheesebun to the first person who submits a workable locale... :)

Octavius wrote:I will open myself to player submitted locales. These should be:

* Single rooms in the expanse of Mirkwood that describe a particular feature

* mini-locales that fit within a small area (assume big rooms are a mile), are contained, and consist of less than five room descriptions. A place a hermit once livrd, something remaining and decayed now from the past age when elves built there, a natural feature ofspecial interest, a cave with evidence of various inhabitants over time, etc.

Send it all to me in one PM and you may find parts of it used someday as you explore. ;)

Edit:
I would like room descriptions to be four to six lines, evocative and well written. They should hint at the following:
How was this location first created and if by beings for what purpose? Are there signs showing why that changed (abandoned in state, fire, battle and bloodshed, etc.)? What evidence is left to show later uses?
Consider sight, smell sounds, etc.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby macaelum » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:45 pm

Octavius wrote:Fall rooms are colored Red. To prevent errors, they also prompt you "are you sure? Type !" just in case. Climb rooms are a bit nefarious.

That is very good! Sometimes players don't have colors turned on or working right, and sometimes we get confused in other ways. Usually, I don't like my computer to ask me "do you really want to logout" when I've just said "logout." But when I'm about to walk off a wall, especially towards the outside of the fort, where there are orcs, I do appreciate "are you sure?"
macaelum
Verified Member

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login