It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:47 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Guard Command

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Guard Command

Postby Brian » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:02 am

Since it came up in another thread, why not discuss the guard command and what we'd like to see/if we want to have it at all.

My opinion on this is that I don't see the need for the Guard command, especially as it was implemented on SoI2. There, Guard pretty much allowed you to automatically rescue whoever you were guarding, up to the point where you could go up to your 4 combatant engagement limit. It didn't seem to be that affected by whether or not you were already engaged either. In my opinion, that's totally broken. Once you're engaged with someone I think it would be really hard to engage a second, let alone a third, opponent that was trying to get to someone else.

The only way that I would think guard would be a workable command is if it only worked up until the point that you are engaged in combat. So you can be ready to protect somebody, and if they get attacked, you intercept their attacker but after that you can't automatically rescue again. I would also not want you to be able to use the guard command if you were currently engaged in combat. I believe the guard command would be broken if you were attacked but that you could just type "guard character" again to reestablish it.
Brian
Honored Elf

Re: Guard Command

Postby Throttle » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:34 am

Even then it would be too useful. Its chance to succeed needs to be reduced considerably and depend on something more related to one's character. I suggest the offense/prowess skill since this is a good indicator of how seasoned of a warrior someone is, and it's a skill that doesn't otherwise serve any significant purpose. I think it could apply to both guard and rescue, and probably other things as well.

This codebase has always been missing combat depth and I think there's a lot of stuff that could be done with prowess that would otherwise have been deemed unwanted because the original coders were so wary of skill bloat. I think it's currently determined only by your weapon skill and fighting style, but if it could include deflect/dodge as well, it would become a very accurate representation of someone's combat worth without having to distinguish between individual weapon skills or implement new skills for guard, rescue, cover, flee etc.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Letters » Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:42 am

Never seemed much different to manually typing in rescue to me, except that being unbalanced might not have hindered it, which could stand to be looked at. And some people got their PCs killed by keeping guard on when they shouldn't have had it on, and being AFK, on two stars, and perpetually trying to rescue someone they shouldn't even be guarding at all.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby BoogtehWoog » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:45 am

I think your proposal is the best one, Brian.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby Letters » Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:50 am

A mix of willpower and presence to determine success would be cool, rather than whatever does it at the moment. Willpower to see if you even get to make the attempt to begin with. You know, throwing yourself in front of a troll. Presence to see if the troll or whatever pays attention to you.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby BoogtehWoog » Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:12 am

Letters wrote:A mix of willpower and presence to determine success would be cool, rather than whatever does it at the moment. Willpower to see if you even get to make the attempt to begin with. You know, throwing yourself in front of a troll. Presence to see if the troll or whatever pays attention to you.

Except not everything is a troll. There are a lot of mundane things that wouldn't really challenge someone in terms of either attribute. Guarding is a pretty simple thing to do. The real issue here is just how effective it is. And that's why guard should only function for the first round of combat with rescue being the next.
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login