General Discussion

Orc Play!

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Orc Play!

Postby tehkory » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:42 pm

Dero wrote:
tehkory wrote:"The downed body of a lithe, ebon-haired man."

Sounds nice, actually. You'd have to code it so that that status automatically makes NPCs(or maybe PCs, too?) no longer attack, but also requires PC intervention to recover from.

Only downside with that is how broken that could be against NPCs. Just thought of that. It could be abused.

toofastnig wrote:I think with some endurance checks and a few IG hours of being unconscious, someone should be able to stumble away from a battlefield after falling in combat and somehow not getting trampled/eaten by orcs, or getting a sword in the gut.

On top of that, I think if someone goes 'kill body' it should echo something like 'You smash/stab/thrust your mace/sword/spear into <body>, with no death echo and the command only delivering one blow. So a really buff, high endurance char can even survive getting bashed in uncon state. This is assuming the attackers aren't smart enough to check their pulse.

So many possibilities!

I suppose these two are true: ypu're not replacing death the 'body' system, you're replacing death AND unconsciousness. Still, the upsides outweigh the downsides, but I've come to accept any code-heavy changes are pipe dreams until after they've been implemented. And maybe even then.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Nimrod » Fri Feb 28, 2014 6:23 pm

tehkory wrote:I suppose these two are true: ypu're not replacing death the 'body' system, you're replacing death AND unconsciousness. Still, the upsides outweigh the downsides, but I've come to accept any code-heavy changes are pipe dreams until after they've been implemented. And maybe even then.

It helps when the coder really likes the idea.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby toofast » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:31 pm

tehkory wrote:you're not replacing death the 'body' system, you're replacing death AND unconsciousness.

Eh, I disagree.

Solution: implement 'negative' HP values (like Armageddon MUD) and make the character drop uncon when that HP value drops below 0. When they reach that point, that's when they fall and appear as bodies. From there on, maybe their endurance will decide what negative value (-10, -15 hp, etc.) will mark their actual death. when a body is truly a 'body'. It wouldn't be replacing, just changing it around, making it more dynamic. I don't know what the code looks like, so this may be impossible.

This could make brawls interesting, too. Did you just knock that dude senseless or did you bash his brain in?
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Brian » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:58 pm

The thing I think we're overlooking is that everybody always checks every body, and inside every container on said body, for loot if they are the victor in combat. So, unless you're able to freely take objects off these unconscious bodies, such that you don't have to kill them to be able to do so, you're still going to end up with dead people every time unless players greatly break the mold :p
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Emilio » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:17 pm

Well, the only thing we would look in the "dead" bodies would be metal, but, we can only carry enough without reaching the point of being over-encumbered and dragging our feet back to home.
Emilio
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nimrod » Sat Mar 01, 2014 11:20 pm

Brian wrote:The thing I think we're overlooking is that everybody always checks every body, and inside every container on said body, for loot if they are the victor in combat. So, unless you're able to freely take objects off these unconscious bodies, such that you don't have to kill them to be able to do so, you're still going to end up with dead people every time unless players greatly break the mold :p

-If- this mod were done, we would allow this.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Icarus » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:42 pm

"Boss, we knocked him out but he's got pretty sticky hands..."
"Well... remove his hands then, Grock."
"Yessah"
*stab*
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login