It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:03 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

From Angrenost to Laketown and ARPI: how did we get here?

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

From Angrenost to Laketown and ARPI: how did we get here?

Postby macaelum » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:09 pm

Hello! I've been away from SOI since around March or June 2013, and when I came back, I noticed some changes:

(1) We're no longer in Angrenost, and we're on the way to Laketown but not there yet.

(2) We abandoned the SOI RPI game engine in favor of something called ARPI (Atonement RPI, I guess).

(3) We still (or again) have forums at the same URL as before, and they seem to be running the same software because they work the same way, but all of the old forum posts are gone, though I understand they're tucked away somewhere.

Would somebody please provide a summary of why (1) and (2)? I'm sure there was some discussion on the old forums (3) about those decisions, but it is now inaccessible to me and to most others.

The rationale for (1) is a complete mystery to me.

As for (2), I am well aware that the game engine we had for Angrenost had some nasty bugs, but what was the attraction of ARPI as opposed to going back to the older SOI2 RPI game software?
macaelum
Verified Member

Re: From Angrenost to Laketown and ARPI: how did we get here

Postby radioactivejesus » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:56 pm

ARPI's game engine is itself built directly off of SOI's engine so don't expect any major changes, rather several smaller features. The staff probably picked it because it had more features to work with than what was already there.
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby Icarus » Tue Mar 04, 2014 1:16 pm

We picked it because it was the last functional engine left of the RPIs. The old SOI engines had been lost in time.

2) The project for Angrenost had stalled. The coder for the engine had left, and critical features were non-available. Project was deemed impossible to continue. Old code available was really old, and nearly non-functional

1) I had a passion for laketown, knew it better, and was able to (either through wit or brute force) persuade the team to go in a different direction.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Nimrod » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:23 pm

macaelum wrote:(3) We still (or again) have forums at the same URL as before, and they seem to be running the same software because they work the same way, but all of the old forum posts are gone, though I understand they're tucked away somewhere.

Yes, it's exactly the same software (phpbb3). We went to great lengths to save all posts from the old forums and had long discussions about how to proceed. At the time these decisions were made, the old forum resided on the soi web server and there were many critical problems that were keeping the forums from being completely functional.

A new forum was established for the conception of the Laketown setting and kept separate from SoI forums for both technical reasons and legal reasons that I won't get into. We debated, at length, merging, moving, backups, etc. If we would have merged, all old forum channels would have been hidden from public view for the time being anyway, so keeping it as a separate backup made sense at the time.

The old forums were bloated beyond belief with different forum channels and many thousands of inactive users. We decided to start fresh on the forums, just as we were doing with the new codebase and website.

The old forums currently reside at www.wolfster.com. All posts are fully backed up and the new forum there is working very well. We have hidden all forums from the general user, but there is a possibility that we may open those to searches in a read-only manner in the future.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby macaelum » Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:41 pm

Well, thanks to all of you for breathing fresh life into SOI, as well as for the explanations.
macaelum
Verified Member

Postby macaelum » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:30 pm

macaelum wrote:Well, thanks to all of you for breathing fresh life into SOI, as well as for the explanations.

-- and double thanks for now making the old forum topics available read-only.
macaelum
Verified Member

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login