It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:51 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Orcs like to hurt things

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Orcs like to hurt things

Postby Octavius » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:32 pm

Yes, you know it is true. Your creativity in that regard is legendary, and I need your help. I need to pull together the initial lists of things that orcs can turn into terrifying improvised weapons.

I'm looking for submissions in three categories. Please post a short description and full description of both the raw item and also what it would look like once converted to hurt people with it.

Categories:
  • Things found in natural underground caverns
  • Things found in detrius piles left behind by past orcs, foul creatures, or worse
  • Things extracted from the Mirkwood, either found in the forests, marshes, and mountains, or from slain creatures

Submission Template:
a) original sdesc
b) original full desc
c) weapon sdesc
d) weapon full desc

Submission Example:
a) a massive dessicated femur
b) This is a large legbone from a creature the size of a man or larger, solid and dried by indeterminate years of time. It has dark nodules of dried cartilage and sinew and a few gnawed spots where something once tried to chew.
c) a sharpened bone longknife
d) Shaved to a thin edge, this large, dried femur bone now makes a serviceable blade. About eighteen inches long, it has a thin edge for slicing flesh and a sharp point for impaling. It is permanently stained and fouled by absorbed blood and ichors.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Re: Orcs like to hurt things

Postby Zargen » Thu Apr 10, 2014 1:50 pm

Ahohoho....about time. Expect a lot of stuff from me in the near future.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nimrod » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:43 pm

I was always a fan of the stalagmite used as a club. :)
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby whitt37 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 2:51 pm

Hmmm, but... didn't Tolkien's Orcs actually use weapons crude of design but brutally effective? Not Sticks, Stones, and Bones?
whitt37
Verified Member

Postby Octavius » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:18 pm

whitt37 wrote:Hmmm, but... didn't Tolkien's Orcs actually use weapons crude of design but brutally effective? Not Sticks, Stones, and Bones?

Yes; weapons of crude but effective metal, of all kinds, are already designed. This thread doesn't imply that improvised weapons are ALL they will get.

I'm giving them an extra capability to get creative with their violence. An orc is never short of ways to injure and maim, but if I don't create the mechanisms for you to turn normal things into creative weaponry, you won't be able to wield it in game.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby whitt37 » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:26 pm

Ah... ok. Just a very definite line in my head between Tolkien's industrial-minded orcs who might use a rock, but would drop it as soon as they found a proper weapon, and GW's "I beat da 'oomie wiv whut-evah I haz" orcs.

I'll see what I can come up with that stays on the crude, but effective weapon side of the body-cart.
whitt37
Verified Member

Postby Zargen » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:38 pm

Octavius, do you just want direct one to one items or can they be cruel weapons with multiple equally awful components. A big sharp rock in your hand as opposed to a big sharp rock lashed to a stick.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Octavius » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:10 am

Zargen wrote:Octavius, do you just want direct one to one items or can they be cruel weapons with multiple equally awful components. A big sharp rock in your hand as opposed to a big sharp rock lashed to a stick.

As of now, my thought was to go with:
  • Single object original components that can be used to bash things as-is. (a stalagmite, a femur)
  • Single object original components that are not useful for bashing things.
  • An improvised component which is a "grip" object (rags, leather strips, lashed stick)
  • A craft that adds a "grip" to a modified original object and makes an improvised weapon object. (a chiseled stalagmite club with a leather-wrapped grip, a sharpened femur longknife with a rag grip)

Keeping it simple for the start of Alpha. The A, B, C, D above allows me to fit them into that structure.

I'm open to modifying the options based on what your submissions come up with, which is why I didn't lay that out upfront. We do want to keep the improvised weapon system both simple and widely-descriptive; you should have options that work with every weapon skill and damage type, but not get too complicated, as we acknowledge that upgrading to quality metal weapons will likely happen for big fights.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby Zargen » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:24 pm

Oh and I forgot to ask whats going to be going on in terms of weapon sizes. Are we having to two hand medium sized weapons.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Octavius » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:45 pm

Zargen wrote:Oh and I forgot to ask whats going to be going on in terms of weapon sizes. Are we having to two hand medium sized weapons.

It will be similar to ARPI. Knives are always short. Swords, and bludgeons (inc axes) will be one handed, one-or-two handed, or two-handed depending on their construction. Polearms (inc spears) will be two-handed.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby Zargen » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:26 pm

I ment racially. Sorry if that wasnt clear. Remember how goblins couldnt one hand swords and the like. Heavy weapons being too large for them. Is that going to be a factor.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Nimrod » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:28 pm

Zargen wrote:I ment racially. Sorry if that wasnt clear. Remember how goblins couldnt one hand swords and the like. Heavy weapons being too large for them. Is that going to be a factor.

As with SoI of old, it will depend on the character's size and strength. This will apply to humans as well. No racial profiling around this joint!
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Octavius » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:00 am

*bump*

Who's got submissions? I'm counting on you, Orc Players.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby GreenRiver » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:54 pm

Should we post submissions here, or send them to you by pm?
GreenRiver
Verified Member

Postby Zargen » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:09 pm

Derp I forgot I never finished :lol: I was working on some stuff for another mud and a mod for a game and got side tracked. pm GR.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login