It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:02 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Ramblings

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Ramblings

Postby Letters » Thu May 22, 2014 9:25 am

Some character died and had made so many board posts that the server crashed and burned upon trying to send out the death mail.

True story. It happened twice that I know of: once when FatherAndy's first character died, seemingly, and another time when a seriously bugged troll punched my PC from full health to dead in one go - the subsequent crash pushed half of a hRPT back by a day. :P
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Re: The "SoI is Down" thread

Postby Fatherandy » Thu May 22, 2014 9:47 am

Letters wrote:Some character died and had made so many board posts that the server crashed and burned upon trying to send out the death mail.

True story. It happened twice that I know of: once when FatherAndy's first character died, seemingly,

Oh, that's confirmed. :)

It took a half-day of lagged before that mail sent. I just went back and checked... the email was 299 pages, then cut off and gave up.

Harland was a prolific IG writer, creating multiple textbooks for PCs on the use and description of every herb in the game (in addition to personal journals and board posts as clan-lead for several orgs.)
Fatherandy
Forum Hobbit

Postby Throttle » Thu May 22, 2014 11:34 am

Remember that summer when the game would crash every 30 minutes consistently for weeks on end?
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Hawkwind » Thu May 22, 2014 12:10 pm

What we obtain too cheaply, we esteem to lighly Throttle.
-Gondorian Master Sage.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby toofast » Thu May 22, 2014 12:41 pm

I liked in Atonement when accounts would get bugged and every time they logged in, the game would crash. And they would try 3-4 more times before giving up.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Throttle » Thu May 22, 2014 12:50 pm

Or they'd leave their wonderful auto-login script on and go to bed...

[edited by Nimrod for language] Let's keep the public forums to PG, please.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Matt » Thu May 22, 2014 12:52 pm

Haha that's some power
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby krelm » Thu May 22, 2014 4:53 pm

toofastnig wrote:I liked in Atonement when accounts would get bugged and every time they logged in, the game would crash. And they would try 3-4 more times before giving up.

I had that happen to me when I played Kolt.

Another favorite was when your account would get bugged and it would create a clone of your character but its name was a jumble of special characters. Sometimes you could log in on that PC fine, and other time it would crash the game so hard that it wouldn't auto-reboot.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Taurgalas » Thu May 22, 2014 4:58 pm

Please note - if you want this thread to be used for the purpose initially mentioned, you might want to take the rest of these conversations elsewhere.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby krelm » Fri May 23, 2014 9:59 am

I do what I want.
One among the fence.
krelm

Postby toofast » Fri May 23, 2014 10:25 am

Who was that former staff member who hacked Atonement during the Atlas and made it so you could play any of your past characters, even in Grungetown? I don't even care who the guy was, but that was pretty hilarious.

Also, this is my thread now.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Saellyn » Fri May 23, 2014 9:31 pm

toofastnig wrote:Who was that former staff member who hacked Atonement during the Atlas and made it so you could play any of your past characters, even in Grungetown? I don't even care who the guy was, but that was pretty hilarious.

Seriously, this thread has a purpose. Discussing the past is done in other threads. Now I'm not asking nicely anymore. Stop hijacking my thread. Make your own.
Saellyn
Dwarf Recruit

Postby krelm » Fri May 23, 2014 9:55 pm

Saellyn wrote:
toofastnig wrote:Who was that former staff member who hacked Atonement during the Atlas and made it so you could play any of your past characters, even in Grungetown? I don't even care who the guy was, but that was pretty hilarious.

Seriously, this thread has a purpose. Discussing the past is done in other threads. Now I'm not asking nicely anymore. Stop hijacking my thread. Make your own.

That was an old coder that they forget to take access away from, if I remember correctly. I wasn't playing at the time, just heard about it on the 'vine.
One among the fence.
krelm

Postby Holmes » Fri May 23, 2014 10:00 pm

krelm wrote:
Saellyn wrote:

That was an old coder that they forget to take access away from, if I remember correctly. I wasn't playing at the time, just heard about it on the 'vine.

We didn't properly revoke his access and then he left some backdoors for after we did.

Of course, we had his real name and found his facebook and sent a mean letter to his mom. Oh, and Kithrater threatened to take legal action.

Good times.
Holmes
Elf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Fri May 23, 2014 10:37 pm

I take full responsibility for the mean letter. And it was a mean letter -about- him to his Mom. I didn't call her fat or anything. I just told her what a <insert epithet here>head her son was being and said she should yell at him.

...Good times.

Also, the game's up? Maybe?
Last edited by Taurgalas on Sat May 24, 2014 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: please try to keep the swearing to a minimum in the General forum
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby krelm » Fri May 23, 2014 10:42 pm

Oh, it's been up.
One among the fence.
krelm

Postby toofast » Sat May 24, 2014 11:08 am

tehkory wrote:I take full responsibility for the mean letter. And it was a mean letter -about- him to his Mom. I didn't call her fat or anything. I just told her what a <insert epithet here>head her son was being and said she should yell at him.

...Good times.

Also, the game's up? Maybe?

Ahaha, that's perfect. Good times indeed.
Last edited by Taurgalas on Sat May 24, 2014 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: retconned the cursing in the post, had to do the same for the quote
toofast
Elf Recruit

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login