It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:25 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Progress!!

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Progress!!

Postby Icarus » Sat May 24, 2014 3:06 pm

I'm not officially saying, but I'm kind of saying (barring staff unavailability) that the opening will be June 14th. This may get adjusted.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby toofast » Sat May 24, 2014 3:08 pm

Three weeks just so we can have the 'perfect weekend' for an opening RPT? That blows.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Matt » Sat May 24, 2014 3:08 pm

We don't need a rpt right away would be nice to get kind of settled in and stuff.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby toofast » Sat May 24, 2014 3:12 pm

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I like how Parallel handled this. They accepted the apps, let us roll into chargen, then opened the game a few hours later. Everyone in the same clans met up, scouted out their base and got settled in before the major action started. It let everyone get a feel for the setting and whatnot.

I think in this case it'd take pressure off the staff. They wouldn't have to worry about getting these major plots rolling while fixing bugs that pop up, helping people in chargen and clan leads and shopowners, etc. etc.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby krelm » Sat May 24, 2014 3:17 pm

Not to mention the initial bloodbath on the orkish side while everyone tries to establish dominance at the same time.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Hawkwind » Sat May 24, 2014 3:23 pm

krelm wrote:Not to mention the initial bloodbath on the orkish side while everyone tries to establish dominance at the same time.

Undercutting roleplay and catfights on the good side on Good side.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Armarius » Sat May 24, 2014 3:25 pm

Icarus wrote:Hah! It won't be all sudden and such. I'm planning to have the RPTs on one of these weekends coming up.

Tempting to throw you all on a boat and call it a colony ship just for kicks...

That would make reviewing for proper backgrounds very simple indeed. :P
Armarius
Verified Member

Postby Letters » Sat May 24, 2014 3:29 pm

toofastnig wrote:Can't believe I'm saying this, but I like how Parallel handled this. They accepted the apps, let us roll into chargen, then opened the game a few hours later. Everyone in the same clans met up, scouted out their base and got settled in before the major action started.

Yeah. I got a Throttle-guided tour of the New Guard place an hour before opening, then we got the starting clan together, figured out our own stuff to do, got together with the other clans, got savaged by lagatos, etc. It just worked, somehow, and without any need for RPTs. I think it helped people get comfortable with what their characters were, and match IG reality to written background, and so on, before the first admin-run plots happened.

It was certainly much smoother than the hectic first days and weeks of Grungetown-Atonement, where RPTs, gang wars, and a huge volume of PC deaths were the order of the day.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Jeshin » Sat May 24, 2014 3:55 pm

1) June 14th is fine and everything
2) But don't have RPTs within 3 days of Alpha opening
3) The 1st 3 days should be reserved for bug fixing, troubleshooting, and ensuring server stability.
4) Any RPTs run during the 1st 3 days run a high risk of either being ruined, lack luster, or generally to much of a headache.

I know it sounds really cool and you want to engage everyone quickly and kick off the MUD alpha with a bang. But please believe me that even massive MMOs focus all of their launch day and week on server stability, bug hunting, and assisting players in settling in.
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Postby Saellyn » Sat May 24, 2014 4:04 pm

Three weeks is June 14th which means I will not be here for any sort of RPT. I'd really prefer if it waited, yeah? Maybe until July where I'll actually be around.
Saellyn
Dwarf Recruit

Postby teepu » Sat May 24, 2014 4:13 pm

Three weeks??? :/
I heard someone say 'two weeks' last night!!
teepu
Guide

Postby Icarus » Sat May 24, 2014 5:17 pm

The RPT is just you getting commenced, a quick speech by a lead NPC, and a few days for you to get settled in ;)

No worries about some big crazy all nighter, but it /is/ part of our primary plot arc that you get introduced new to the towns together.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Matt » Sat May 24, 2014 5:52 pm

Three weeks for that? :(
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Kitzilla » Sat May 24, 2014 6:21 pm

June 14th - you got me SoI for my birthday! Aww, thanks guys! ^_^
Kitzilla
Verified Member

Postby toofast » Sat May 24, 2014 7:23 pm

Yeah, three weeks for a speech. It better be a good one.

Some A-grade jibber jabber.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Meneldor » Sat May 24, 2014 7:36 pm

AT least it's not the weekend I have to go to DC.
Meneldor
Raptor Overlord

Postby Tepes » Sat May 24, 2014 7:49 pm

No offense, I appreciate all the hard work, but I agree with some of the others. Three weeks for a commencement RPT seems a bit much, but that's just my opinion.
Tepes
Honored Dwarf

Postby crayon » Sat May 24, 2014 8:31 pm

I wouldn't underestimate the value that having a strong opening with story holds over an otherwise complete opening, especially in how well it impacts the establishment of IG culture and interaction to fit an overall narrative and theme.

I think it's noble that the staff plans to open strong, and that they're willing to set our, and likely their own, desires to see their game brought to life as soon as possible aside to ensure that they do just that.
crayon
Verified Member

Postby Matt » Sat May 24, 2014 9:46 pm

I'm pretty sure it's a ruse guys. Icarus is just seeing how long he can string us along.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby tehkory » Sat May 24, 2014 9:56 pm

I'm all for a good, strong opening that sets the stage and the mood for the game ahead of us. And I'm just glad to see Shadows of Isildur is back. Three weeks? That sounds fine to me. Here's to June 14th.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby krelm » Sun May 25, 2014 12:06 am

If I remember correctly, and I do, Atonement ALPHA and BETA began the same way-- there was a little action here and there (zombies with ALPHA, giant robot in BETA), but there was more stuff to set the theme, and some introduction to NPCs and whatnot-- they were opened with RPTs, but that term was only used because there wasn't a better term to use (OPT? SRPT?).

And, I gotta agree with Kory on this one. I've waited years for movies/video games to come out. I can wait a couple more weeks for SoI.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Nimrod » Sun May 25, 2014 1:29 am

hobbitboots wrote:If you go into the skill selection portion with some skills already selected (eg - from the overview), then the save skills button won't be active until you select a skill, even if you already have 4-8 selected.

Lately when I log into the generator I have to log in twice. When I log in, I typically use the drop down actions menu to select character generation, but it logs me out instead. When I log back in for the second time everything works fine.

There's no need to save if you have skills selected and don't change them, that's why the save button is disabled. This is a feature. Not a bug.

Yes. We have a login bug. Let's call it a feature for now, requiring you to log in twice is much more secure.... right?
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby hobbitboots » Sun May 25, 2014 11:29 am

Riiiiight. :)
hobbitboots
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Red » Mon May 26, 2014 12:48 am

Just finalized my background and went to coninute, struggling to find submit button!

:D
Red
Forum Hobbit

Postby alexjones » Mon May 26, 2014 4:33 am

toofastnig wrote:Three weeks just so we can have the 'perfect weekend' for an opening RPT? That blows.

we've been waiting over a year to get back into the game, so we can wait 3 more weeks.
alexjones
Verified Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login