It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 7:49 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Roles for Alpha

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Roles for Alpha

Postby Icarus » Mon May 26, 2014 1:18 am

So, for applications and such, these are the two roles that will be available to start things off with:

0RPP Human - New Settler:
You hail from some small settlement or another along the River Running between the small sawmill settlement of Utterby near the old Dwarf Road and Laketown on the Long Lake. In each town and village in between, heralds have been shouting for fresh blood to join the hard but profitable work hewing timber on the edge of Mirkwood. Men and women from all walks of life across the region have heard these calls, and in response to the promise of a fair wage for honest work they have boarded the recruiting barge that runs north and south along the River Running. You yourself signed up not long ago, and hopped upon the barge for Utterby, and now you have arrived, green and new. Maybe you cut wood back home, maybe you were a smith, or perhaps you were a spearman in some hunting band. Regardless, here you are. The only directive you have is to report for work and stay out of the drink until you've been settled, though on the trip down you heard tales of trouble in Utterby that may have given you second thoughts...

0RPP Goblin - "Voluntary" Labor:
Congratulations! You have been "volunteered" from whatever sad hole you emerged from to join the band of an old war-goblin named Striza in the Mountains of Mirkwood, near the eastern border of the forest. Your protestations of spiders, feral wargs, numerous other bands of hostile orcs, various bodily ills, flat feet, and other objections came to naught against the harsh whip of the caravan driver. You spent long months traveling from your old home, which may have been in the foothills of the Misty Mountains, the southern portions of Mirkwood, some sad cave along the borders of the forest, or really anywhere where sad and pitiful goblins call home. Now you have just arrived, likely as part of some small group, and now must find your place, or die trying. Welcome to the Vadok!
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Re: Roles for Alpha

Postby macaelum » Mon May 26, 2014 8:16 pm

these are the two roles that will be available to start things off with

Does that mean we cannot invent or propose additional roles at the start? I had the impression from the first post of this thread that a wider range of professions would be available:

http://www.laketownrpi.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=622
macaelum
Verified Member

Postby Holmes » Mon May 26, 2014 8:58 pm

macaelum wrote:
these are the two roles that will be available to start things off with

Does that mean we cannot invent or propose additional roles at the start? I had the impression from the first post of this thread that a wider range of professions would be available:

http://www.laketownrpi.us/forums/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=622

The three example professions in the role text aren't meant to be binding or limiting.
Holmes
Elf Recruit

Postby Frigga » Tue May 27, 2014 7:15 am

These are obviously very general roles. You can use those roles as a launching point to pick a variety of different professions or character types.

If you are curious about a particular role or profession or general background idea and are planning on being a human in Utterby, feel free to drop me (Frigga) a PM or email at Frigga@middle-earth.us
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby toofast » Tue May 27, 2014 7:34 am

I don't get it, we can't play orcs?
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Octavius » Tue May 27, 2014 7:43 am

toofastnig wrote:I don't get it, we can't play orcs?

Of course you can. You just need to ask Khamul and Pallando about them. :) Frigga will answer for Humans.

0RPP Goblin - "Voluntary" Labor:
Congratulations! You have been "volunteered" from whatever sad hole you emerged from to join the band of an old war-goblin named Striza in the Mountains of Mirkwood, near the eastern border of the forest. Your protestations of spiders, feral wargs, numerous other bands of hostile orcs, various bodily ills, flat feet, and other objections came to naught against the harsh whip of the caravan driver. You spent long months traveling from your old home, which may have been in the foothills of the Misty Mountains, the southern portions of Mirkwood, some sad cave along the borders of the forest, or really anywhere where sad and pitiful goblins call home. Now you have just arrived, likely as part of some small group, and now must find your place, or die trying. Welcome to the Vadok!
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby toofast » Tue May 27, 2014 7:47 am

Ok, but what's up with that quote? It says goblins and I never saw goblin as a race that I could pick. Last time I checked, goblins and orcs were different, not entirely, but still not the same race. Shouldn't you just make an easy change to that paragraph, changing all goblins to orcs, in order to cause less confusion?
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Throttle » Tue May 27, 2014 8:55 am

Goblin is another word for orc. Blame Warhammer if people think otherwise.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby toofast » Tue May 27, 2014 9:35 am

Throttle wrote:Goblin is another word for orc. Blame Warhammer if people think otherwise.

Gotcha. I thought goblins were smaller, but I looked dat up and they're the same thing, apparently. Would have been less confusing if this wasn't the only instance thus far that the orcs had been referred to as goblins. Also, gretchin > goblins

I'm assuming not all orcs have to be new to the tribe, either, since I heard that around 95% of the tribe was local/native.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Octavius » Tue May 27, 2014 9:53 am

toofastnig wrote:Gotcha. I thought goblins were smaller, but I looked dat up and they're the same thing, apparently. Would have been less confusing if this wasn't the only instance thus far that the orcs had been referred to as goblins. Also, gretchin > goblins

There was more differentiation in old SOI; we chose not to do that. All the orcs are Orc. All the humans are Human. In the future, roles (not races) may provide some greater definition.

The "Orc" race can encompass both "goblins" and "orcs" as currently configured, depending how you set your height and build. If you want to play a small, runty, quick fellow you can - down to about 3 feet tall. If you want to be a big, strapping orc you can as well, up to man-size (about five and a half feet).

toofastnig wrote:I'm assuming not all orcs have to be new to the tribe, either, since I heard that around 95% of the tribe was local/native.

Icarus announced it as a plot point, and in conjunction with Alpha-start, that all PCs are new arrivals on both sides.

It is up to Khamul and Pallando to clarify that further for Orcs.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby toofast » Tue May 27, 2014 12:24 pm

Khamul, Pallando, where you at?
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Tue May 27, 2014 1:15 pm

95% of the tribe are actually brought in from elsewhere, as are most orcs in the Mountains of Mirkwood. Local orcs would be rare, and probably very dead by now.

"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Khamul » Wed May 28, 2014 7:52 pm

Who summons me? :evil:
Khamul
Roleplay Admin

Postby Pallando » Wed May 28, 2014 11:28 pm

After chatting with Icarus about this all PCs will hail from tribes much further away than the 5 outlined over here. Eventually there will be IC knowledge of these guys spread to PCs, but for now PCs will hail from other regions much more distant. Those Vadok which remain, accustomed to the area, will be vNPCs/NPCs only.
Pallando
Roleplay Admin

Postby Kayube » Thu May 29, 2014 6:15 am

Well I'll have to change my background then...
Kayube
Forum Hobbit

Postby Icarus » Thu May 29, 2014 7:23 am

I'm sure there could be some swapping and such between the tribes, so it's not /absolutely/ essential, but you will be coming in as a bought goblin regardless ;)

Most will come from further regions. Pallando, perhaps it would be good of us if we detailed exactly what those further regions might be?

Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby toofast » Thu May 29, 2014 7:29 am

A bought goblin? Yeah, glad you guys are taking three weeks, you need it. I hear a crucial piece of info that destroys my entire background at least once a day.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Thu May 29, 2014 7:53 am

*chuckle*

Such are growing pains of alpha!

Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Matt » Thu May 29, 2014 8:03 am

No offense but I think limiting orc players backgrounds like that is kind of shitty. Is every human some lowly slave that had no choice and is just there because they have to be? Why should orcs? There's plenty of options for backgrounds that aren't 'you were sold by your original tribe'. Sold for what, anyway? What orc tribe is 'selling' their man power? Are all the PCs mentally handicapped runts or something? This is incredibly limiting and kind of aggravating. Orcs could have just as diverse backgrounds as humans and there's no reason for them not to.

-A smaller orc tribe has run out of resources in their current area, decides to join the Vadok because they're more powerful. Still all technically 'slaves' because all orcs are slaves to the more powerful orcs.

-A survivor or a few survivors of a tribe that were wiped out by humans, joining the Vadok so they themselves don't die and are in a powerful group. Also still slaves, doesn't really change the whole 'you're slaves' background.

-A lone orc that was scooped up by the Vadok as they moved to their present encampment. Still a slave.

-An orc betrayed his tribe by killing a few of its leaders in their sleep, trying to usurp power. Didn't work out so well and the rest of the tribe tried to kill him for his treachery. Ran and found the Vadok. Also a slave.

All orcs are slaves. Why are you going to make us limit our backgrounds like that? 'You were all bought with beads, that's your backgrounds write it!' kind of sucks.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Icarus » Thu May 29, 2014 8:18 am

You know, honestly that's a fair and valid point Matt.

I would say then this:
For humans, there are recruiters all over the Wilderland calling for folks to come to Utterby. Good work, decent pay. They then come via a barge that goes up and down the river, picking folks up and dropping them off.

For orcs, it is likely the same. There are numerous "recruiters" out and about, gathering up those they can. For our average new player, yes they are going to essentially have been "volunteered" by whomever controls them before, usually for something valuable. I'm sure that some orc would join up with the recruiters after hearing about the potential loot up around Vadok Mal, or one of the many backgrounds that you yourself describe.

Regardless, the /key/ point is that a group of orcs that are relatively new to Vadok Mal have been sent together there. Unwilling were sent under the whip, the willing marched of their own volition.

Does that satisfy your concern?

Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Matt » Thu May 29, 2014 8:30 am

Yes definitely
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby toofast » Thu May 29, 2014 11:53 am

It satisfied my concern.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Erythil » Sat May 31, 2014 12:14 am

If we've already submitted an app -- and there's probably a more pertinent thread for this -- how can I go back and change it to make my background more appropriate?
Erythil
Dwarf Recruit

Postby krelm » Sat May 31, 2014 1:50 am

As a side-note, I do sort of like that the Vadok Ushtarak is becoming a sort of melting pot of different orkish tribes.

If the world were as I envisioned it, a bunch of PCs would come into the Vadok, all from different original tribes, and all with their own culture and rituals and religions and whatever (at least a rough idea, not like 12 pages of a background or anything). Then, after a bunch of faces were punched and some PCs became sort of clan leads (under Striza, obviously) their clan's specific rituals and whatnot would become the Vadok's, since the stronger leading orc would tell all his underlings that they had to follow his lead, and most of the crap he did was crap done by his old tribe.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Kayube » Sat May 31, 2014 7:59 am

Erythil wrote:If we've already submitted an app -- and there's probably a more pertinent thread for this -- how can I go back and change it to make my background more appropriate?

Some staff members have been telling people not to delete submitted apps, so as far as I know, you can't change it after submission. You have to wait for the app to be rejected and then change it.
Kayube
Forum Hobbit

Next

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login