It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:58 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Opinions on a Character Page Wiki

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Opinions on a Character Page Wiki

Postby Throttle » Wed May 28, 2014 5:02 pm

I do think, in a game that will likely feature frequent PvP, that there's a difference between the ability to ask around on AIM for the names and sdescs of the enemy sphere's important PCs, and having them all listed categorically on the wiki. A few people might do the former while the latter means that literally everybody will know precisely who to aim for in order to win. If nothing else, I think the lists should be in the sphere forums rather than on the wiki so that everybody doesn't have easy access to an up-to-date list of the prime targets to snipe in a battle.

Even though the names are going to get out from time to time, treating them as privileged information means that there'll be awareness of this fact and it'll be very easy to see who's abusing said information. If you post it publically on the wiki, you can't really expect people not to use that information and feign innocence. Even the worst enforced rule goes a long way towards discouraging something, and I do think most people would refrain from asking around for lists of important enemy PCs simply because being caught doing so would be really bad for one's reputation and staff trust.

PvP aside, I also think it'll just be better for the game if you don't get access to information about a sphere's characters until you've made a PC in that sphere, and then only for as long as you play there. Seems like the sort of thing that belongs in the human and orc forums. I'm assuming we'll only have access to the one where we currently have an active PC.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby EltanimRas » Thu May 29, 2014 1:30 am

I'd say yes, but list names, not sdescs, and give only the information that even the town's most ignorant, indifferent [v]npc would know and share. I remember the old SoI character lists as an often self-promotional spoiler-fest, but I still like the idea of a new-and-improved edition.

Like ... "Amos -- fattest guy in town, mayor", "Malik -- gangly kid, always seems to have a fishing pole with him". Etc.
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Kayube » Thu May 29, 2014 6:14 am

How about information on currently retired/dead characters? As long as players don't make their previous characters known (which would be their choice), information on inactive characters can't really be used against current ones.
Kayube
Forum Hobbit

Postby sod » Thu May 29, 2014 9:23 am

It sort of defeats how it could be useful if it's only retired or dead characters. EltanimRas' post +1.
sod
Forum Hobbit

Postby Octavius » Thu May 29, 2014 9:37 am

Kayube wrote:How about information on currently retired/dead characters? As long as players don't make their previous characters known (which would be their choice), information on inactive characters can't really be used against current ones.

To be honest, I'd rather have this be fed by the Music system than player input.

The intention is that the Music skill will allow songs, memoriams, and event tales to be propagated among the vNPCs and thus into the general lore in a functional way. Succeeding at a craft will drop you into an editor where post to special message boards which are then viewable around the gameworld (representing vNPCs retelling/singing your work).

We've talked about having these post directly to the webpage, but that's an interface on the back burner. I think it will be a good option for the Wiki Master to draw from and create PC-generated lore in our Wiki.

TLDR: If your character didn't become notable enough to have their stories retold in the gameworld, then they don't get to memorialize it after the fact in the wiki. :) Make sure someone captures you in the oral tradition within the game.
Octavius
Journeyman Architect

Postby toofast » Thu May 29, 2014 11:55 am

When I'm the orc boss, everyone is going to be singing my name. Music skill or not
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Brian » Thu May 29, 2014 5:55 pm

Octavius wrote:TLDR: If your character didn't become notable enough to have their stories retold in the gameworld, then they don't get to memorialize it after the fact in the wiki. :) Make sure someone captures you in the oral tradition within the game.

I love the sound of this and its way better than an ooc wiki! Look, singers might become valued members of society! :p
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby hobbitboots » Thu May 29, 2014 5:59 pm

Valued... and feared. :twisted:

Don't piss off the minstrel or you might find yourself in an unflattering verse. Now that's the kind of bias I can get behind.
hobbitboots
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Pallando » Thu May 29, 2014 7:33 pm

Mordor forums used to have a "Who to know" thread which kept this kind of information, updated by a player who'd edit the master list, then simply submitted by players themselves if they wanted to be included.

That said, something like this will never fully be up to date, and new players referring to it are not likely to find it all too reliable. I'd echo others' opinions in saying it's best to find these people in game, and make good use of the journal system :)
Pallando
Roleplay Admin

Postby EltanimRas » Thu May 29, 2014 10:03 pm

Octavius wrote:TLDR: If your character didn't become notable enough to have their stories retold in the gameworld, then they don't get to memorialize it after the fact in the wiki.

Whatever happened to the idea that even characters who were entirely ordinary ICly (barmaids, cooks, farmhands, ...) might be every bit as OOCly valuable to the world as anyone else?
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby Red » Thu May 29, 2014 10:18 pm

If you're worthy of being known, I will know you.
Red
Forum Hobbit

Postby tehkory » Thu May 29, 2014 10:41 pm

Octavius wrote:TLDR: If your character didn't become notable enough to have their stories retold in the gameworld, then they don't get to memorialize it after the fact in the wiki. :) Make sure someone captures you in the oral tradition within the game.

Off-peak vs. peak. That complaint is well-spread, well-founded, and obvious, so I'll move on.

It's silly to tie what is obviously an OOC means of helping people integrate into the game/roleplay more smoothly(a wiki) with what should an in-game means of creating roleplay. They are not mutually exclusive, nor even are they in any way in competition with one another.

Let's not put all eggs in one basket, no? Well-thought out, well-coded mechanics have proven to be unfun and/or entirely ignored by the playerbase before. Presence/music may be one of these.

Finally, this isn't about stories being -retold-, nor is it even about information that -should necessarily be immortalized in song-. This is about information people should likely already have. EltanimRas has put it best: names, and a single blurb.

TL;DR:The conflict of wiki vs. "shoulda done been sung about" doesn't exist.

Red wrote:If you're worthy of being known, I will know you.

It's not about worthiness and great deeds, even, it's about granting people OOC tools to play more smoothly. You can -choose- to not know about the petty drunk of a fisherman
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Erythil » Sat May 31, 2014 12:04 am

Without reading over much of the thread, I will say that I find character pages or character profiles to be a perfectly innocent addition to most roleplaying games, as long as there's guidelines as to how much and what sort of information is posted there. No secrets or anything, just the basic information that you would be able to learn from asking around town. If it's an opt-in and not required, sneakier types can stay off it in happy anonymity.

The problem, as I saw mentioned above, comes when you have segregated factions, who effectively can now have an OOC tool to learn things they couldn't normally discover. High-value targets, etc.

I don't know, I could go either way on it. Personally I like them, especially for the purpose of finding out which characters you might want to seek out if you play in an irregular time zone. Especially if there was some mechanism for keeping the wiki up to date with who is and is not active.
Erythil
Dwarf Recruit

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login