It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:32 am
Change font size

Staff Announcements

Chargen

Game related announcements from the staff, including RPTs, general plot information, etc...

Moderator: Elder Staff

Chargen

Postby Nimrod » Fri May 30, 2014 9:58 am

Everyone can thank the few (or one) who has forced me to disable chargen and spend time on security issues rather than the game.

Chargen is disabled until further notice.

If you have information about any malicious intent, PM information to me.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Re: Chargen

Postby Nimrod » Fri May 30, 2014 10:54 pm

So... I had a report of some hacking issues this morning from staff that were quite concerning. I chose to shut down chargen to be on the safe side and post the message above so everyone would know it was closed. I was on the road at the time I was contacted, going to my wife's father's funeral (a four hour drive), so my response was probably stronger than it maybe should have been. After the funeral I had to drive another seven hours to a family reunion. I'm currently in a motel in Missouri, the reunion is tomorrow.

Needless to say I've had zero time earlier in the day to dig into this. But now that I have, I see that the event(s) were pretty harmless. Just a couple of tech-savvy members playing around to see what they could do without any malicious intent. Heck, they were doing this 'hacking' under their own usernames, so that tells me right off they weren't really trying to do anything uber-bad.

Did they make any headway? Not in any meaningful way. There were a few bits that they could play around with in the client-side scripts. (Heck, they're CLIENT-SIDE... I can't force you to not change them.) These scripts are meant to help guide you to creating an application that is acceptable. Circumventing them only allows you to create a submission that will be rejected by a human being AND flag you as a cheater, so there's absolutely no way to gain by doing it. The only thing you can possibly get is the thrill of being able to choose 10 skills instead of 8 and then being flagged to be scrutinized further.

All in all, I'm very happy with how chargen handled this situation and am confident that we're as safe as we need to be. I'll be turning chargen back after I get approval from the rest of Elder Staff.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Icarus » Sat May 31, 2014 5:59 am

Open her back up when you feel comfortable, Nim. We appreciate you taking a moment to look into things. :nom:
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Nimrod » Sat May 31, 2014 9:07 am

It's open.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Return to Staff Announcements

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login