It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:19 am
Change font size

Staff Queries

Wilderness / NPC Design Philosophy

Official answers to official questions. Pose your questions for staff here. Careful! You cannot edit or delete your posts once you've asked your question!

Moderator: Elder Staff

Wilderness / NPC Design Philosophy

Postby Jeshin » Sat May 31, 2014 10:10 am

I never played atonement, but I did play Parallel RPI. It is my understanding that both games were iterations of the same codebase and that the new game will be running this newer codebase with some updates and tweaks of its own. That's great.

I would really like a staff comment about how they will be handling NPCs/Wild hunting and basically combat in Alpha. Are we looking at something like Parallel RPI which requires 5+ people just to leave a town and get materials or hunt? Is it more 2+ people to be safe, but one person can do it riskily? Lets suppose all these people are newbies or only a few days played.

thanks.
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Re: Wilderness / NPC Design Philosophy

Postby Taurgalas » Sat May 31, 2014 11:23 am

As you can imagine, as the resident tree, I had a significant hand in wilderness creation, the mobs you face, and potentially some of the RP you'll experience. :D So, my two cents on the matter is thus: yes.

In other words, there are times, rare, but present when only a large group will suffice. If there is communication within the town/caves, you will be aware, though. More often than not, you should be fine in a small group of two-three. That's probably your safest bet and while this hasn't been fully tested out for players yet, that's what we're aiming for with the average wildlife. Alpha will be a state of tweakage. Someone with significant skills, willing to hide, sneak, and doing so with high talent can potentially do well on their own. Again, this should be a rarity.

So, imagine the charting of success in a bell-curve geared towards the 2-3 range with outlying instances of required 4+ or single person hunting/wandering/gathering. This is what staff has discussed and intends, but plots may shift this in one direction or another for a time and Alpha is, of course, a bit of a testing-ground, so it won't always work to our intended ideals.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Icarus » Sat May 31, 2014 11:45 am

As a note, the wilderness does have enforce mobile zones. So, particular near to town, you won't have much trouble. The further you get from town, the more dangerous things can get.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Nimrod » Sat May 31, 2014 8:25 pm

Just for the record... I am not zone restricted.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Return to Staff Queries

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login