It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 3:59 am
Change font size

General Discussion

The Character Background Hookup Thread

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: The Character Background Hookup Thread

Postby Matt » Tue May 27, 2014 4:11 pm

If you're a human player/players that are doing a background of a town can you shoot me a PM? I'm interested in doing a little historical background linking a human town with an orc tribe I'm writing up. Preferably a town that has some history of being harassed by orc tribes. Something detailed preferably. Thaaaanks.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby crayon » Wed May 28, 2014 8:42 am

YOU KILLED MY PAPPY.
crayon
Verified Member

Postby hobbitboots » Thu May 29, 2014 9:36 pm

I'm working with some others on a family from Georgsholt. There are six members written into the story, and four of those roles are filled. We're hoping to find some players to fill those empty spots!

The mother and the second-youngest child are the two available. Mother is about 40 years old, and the child would be about 18. We have a pretty rustic background and some basic family traits. The child can be of either gender.

Send me a PM if you are interested!
hobbitboots
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Songweaver » Sun Jun 01, 2014 1:21 pm

Myself and a few other very awesome players are working on a start-up clan in the human sphere. We're hoping that it goes well and we can expand, but for now, we're looking for one more character on start-up to fill a specific crafting/social-heavy role. There will be adventure.

PM me if you're interested, and tell me a bit about yourself if I don't know you!
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Zargen » Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:06 pm

Thought id make mention of what ive been up to. If anyone has interest in an orc hailing from a sinister tribe of orcs hit me up and ill give a general run down. Im hoping to drop some documentation down once i get internet back.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Frigga » Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:15 am

As an FYI, we aren't really looking at supporting start up clans at open as we are looking at fleshing out the main clans first before explanding.

So before a lot of background coordination and planning goes into such an endeavor, I'd suggest (if not insist) folks contact myself or Pallando for Utterby or Orc interest accordingly.
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Zargen » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:18 am

Planned on running the tribal docs i have written up across someone before posting it up. Who should I send it to in charge of the orc sphere?
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Meneldor » Mon Jun 02, 2014 6:21 am

Pallando. You can CC other staff if you like.
Meneldor
Raptor Overlord

Postby Songweaver » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:11 pm

Frigga wrote:As an FYI, we aren't really looking at supporting start up clans at open as we are looking at fleshing out the main clans first before explanding.

So before a lot of background coordination and planning goes into such an endeavor, I'd suggest (if not insist) folks contact myself or Pallando for Utterby or Orc interest accordingly.

Thanks for the suggestion! I didn't know who I should be chatting with about this.

A couple of things:

Icarus said this early on in this thread, in regard to using this thread to coordinate start-up groups.

I have no problems with this. I will post sample roles that should provide enough info regarding what you can do.

I feel like allowing well designed player created families/clans in is a good idea at start-up, for a few reasons, the most obvious of which is that players tend to have a lot of good ideas at the start of a game. There is no reason that these clans have to detract from the staff's work on other clans; in truth, there is no reason that PCs can't be part of a tribe/family/merc unit and still be part of the woodman's guild or whatever else exists.

Most importantly, tons of players are sending in applications right now and chargen is open, but there is no information on the forums about the human clans. Like, at all. Without any information, or the freedom to create your own reason for groups of PCs working together, it's very difficult to create anything but a generic character or a "loner" currently (particularly for the humans).
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby tehkory » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:18 pm

Songweaver wrote:
Most importantly, tons of players are sending in applications right now and chargen is open, but there is no information on the forums about the human clans. Like, at all. Without any information, or the freedom to create your own reason for groups of PCs working together, it's very difficult to create anything but a generic character or a "loner" currently (particularly for the humans).

Players are utterly new to Utterby, and fresh-off-the-boat. That would be why. You'll find out IG.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Tiamat » Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:34 pm

tehkory wrote:
Songweaver wrote:

Players are utterly new to Utterby, and fresh-off-the-boat. That would be why. You'll find out IG.

The way I'd see that, is that would effectively limit all the player roles to being utterly unaware of anything going on in the area, which was the point of Songweaver's post. You limit the amount of roles available to "generic" woodmen, especially since we have no knowledge of any clans in Utterby.

Now I'm not sure whether or not Frigga is saying people shouldn't roll in with pre-made families and such altogether, but I do see a point into making more information available if that's the case, as we can't expand on something we don't know. And being railroaded into creating a fresh-off-the-boat character can kill some pretty cool character ideas.
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby tehkory » Tue Jun 03, 2014 3:54 am

It's a boomtown. Almost everyone's fresh to it--and if you're not you're probably rich from helping found it. The reason there's anyone there is because of a suddenly exploded market for Ironwood and these tuberthings.

That aside, I don't see what concepts are impossible to tie into moving into the boomtown. The setting as a whole is probably more conducive to start-up clans than most, and families moving in together isn't any more unlikely.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Letters » Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:19 am

Ever since PRPI, I go into convulsions whenever I hear 'family' and 'right at the MUD's opening' in a sentence together.

Okay, not really. But I'm still looking at you, Zerero. :P
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Jeshin » Tue Jun 03, 2014 12:27 pm

May I direct you all to viewtopic.php?f=2&t=699

Thank you
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Postby Kayube » Thu Jun 05, 2014 2:58 pm

Though my first character ingame is an orc I'm also planning an eventual human and thought it might be good to see if they could have some family lined up by the time they arrive. I figured it'd be a good idea to ask now so, in case I don't end up actually making the character I had in mind, the family member could still stand on their own.
Kayube
Forum Hobbit

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login