It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 3:35 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Roles for Alpha

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Roles for Alpha

Postby BoogtehWoog » Sat May 31, 2014 11:28 am

This sounds great. Thanks for the work, staff!
BoogtehWoog
Elf Recruit

Postby Frigga » Thu Jun 05, 2014 8:39 am

Here's some roles we'll need filled in Utterby for Open, if you'd like to express interest in your PC taking one of these jobs, send me (Frigga) a PM.

Craft or code support for some of these roles might be very limited at opening, but will definitely expand. So roles might be mostly virtual/RP based in the beginning.

The Ironwood Inn

The Ironwood Inn works to appeal to travelers and traders as they move up and down from Laketown and other villages nearby. The Ironwood Inn was originally built by Askell, father-in-law to Gararic, Master of Utterby. As Gararic seeks to increase the profits of the town, the call has gone out to properly staff the Inn with knowledgeable people.

The call has been answered, so expect hearty meals and brews for your PCs. :D

The Lumber Mill and Lodge

Originally a simple lumber cutting crew, the Lodge as it is called has expanded into oversight of all major exports and imports into Utterby under the careful eye of Gararic and his Overseers, including his son - Ealstan, the Timberwight Overseer. The overwhelming majority of residents of Utterby work for the Lodge doing any of a number of tasks designed to gather resources and produce exports and items for the daily lives of the citizenry.

Roles include:

- Timberwights and associated Woodcrafters
- Foragers
- Fishermen
- Hunters and associated Furriers and Leatherworkers
- Blacksmiths and Potters
- Farmers and Gardeners
- Weavers and Clothiers
- Mess Hall helpers

Don't see something listed here you are curious about - ask!

The Guard

The Merchant Guard (generally just called "The Guard") ensures the safe delivery of goods in and out of Utterby by offensive and defensive action against any threats - human or Orc. They also serve as the police force to enforce the laws of Utterby and help to train the larger citizenry to be capable of being a functional militia in case of dire need.

As a voluntary militia service, many members of the Guard are also Lodge members who enjoy the thrill of a blackblood hunt and doing their part to ensure the town's safety. While officers and the truly sword-driven may choose to embrace Guard work as their full time profession.

Armor workers and healers often work for the Guard, working to ensure the proper protection and safety of guardsmen.

Roles:

- Militia Guard members (we'll look into expanding into full-time and officer positions later)

- Armor workers
- Healers
- Mess Hall helpers

Curious about any of these before roles are set up in chargen? Send me (Frigga) a PM!
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Icarus » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:05 pm

These positions will also be able to be obtained IG most likely.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Frigga » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:59 pm

Icarus wrote:These positions will also be able to be obtained IG most likely.

Of course. :D
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby Frigga » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:40 pm

Update for Utterby roles as of 6/7 - Blacksmiths/Metalcraft workers are proving rather popular, so those who haven't submitted yet might want to diversify. :D

Edited to add: If you previously sent me a PM about a role and I haven't had a chance to get back to you yet it's not personal. As we roll up the next few I'll respond and get back with folks. :D
Frigga
The Ice Queen

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:03 am

Given this thread and the roles offered, how did the Human side wind up with handfuls of concepts like the "Hill Men" who are seemingly intent on starting their own clique completely separate from Utterby?
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Letters » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:09 am

RiderOnTheStorm wrote:Given this thread and the roles offered, how did the Human side wind up with handfuls of concepts like the "Hill Men" who are seemingly intent on starting their own clique completely separate from Utterby?

And, apparently, vNPC backing. Curious about this my own self.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Jeshin » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:13 am

If it adds to the gameworld and they weren't pre-set with better stats or skills. I'm not sure it's exactly a badthing. It's entirely possible someone game up with a very compelling concept and submitted it to staff and got it greenlit some point after commencement.
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:26 pm

Jeshin wrote:If it adds to the gameworld and they weren't pre-set with better stats or skills. I'm not sure it's exactly a badthing. It's entirely possible someone game up with a very compelling concept and submitted it to staff and got it greenlit some point after commencement.

Eh.

Sure, letting a few people do snowflakes "adds to the gameworld". It's however, kind of disingenous to the playerbase to go "here, you all have to be random village folks who came to town to work, but we're gonna let this small handful of people be outliers, who are completely separate, do their own thing, and are nothing but a drain on the town's resources".
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:31 pm

Have no doubt that the town is a for profit entity. If there are people living off the fat of Utterby's resources, without contributing, then there may be issues.

How certain folks will feel about hillmen camping out upriver is to be seen, of course...

(regardless, yes, it puts the staff in an odd position)
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Songweaver » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:20 pm

I wouldn't say that the Hill-Men don't contribute to the town, or are particularly a "drain on resources", from what I can tell. It's really an IC issue, though, isn't it?
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:23 pm

Songweaver wrote:I wouldn't say that the Hill-Men don't contribute to the town, or are particularly a "drain on resources", from what I can tell. It's really an IC issue, though, isn't it?

As much as me putting in app where my background says I'm the King of Gondor and then I have a squad of soldiers come to town is an IC issue.

An extreme exaggeration, yes, but the concepts do not seem to fit with the roles we were told to fill.

Edited to fit the quote better, my apologies. The matter of resources/etc aside, we're back to the matter of the concepts. I don't see how 'completely independent people who don't even want to come to town (well, until they need armor and weapons of course! haha)' fits in the scope of what we were told to play.
Last edited by RiderOnTheStorm on Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Throttle » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:26 pm

Songweaver wrote:I wouldn't say that the Hill-Men don't contribute to the town, or are particularly a "drain on resources", from what I can tell. It's really an IC issue, though, isn't it?

That part is, but I think it's fair to point out that the concept is rather far outside the confines that others have to play within, or were at least led to believe they had to. In fact, the discussion on families before the game's launch seemed to suggest that most wanted families to consist of nothing beyond relatives going to Utterby together with no other benefit or special treatment.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Tiamat » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:33 pm

I'd relate it to finding a job, and job postings. A company has particular roles they want to fill, and they likely get a lot of job applications to fill that particular role. But if someone comes along with ideas/skills that you like but doesn't fit any position, and you realize what they bring you is worth making a position for, you do it. That's what happened. :P

Disingenuous?

For the Krelms of the world (just nudging you, bro ;p), this is what disingenuous is defined as:

not candid or sincere, typically by pretending that one knows less about something than one really does.

That definition suggests intent. It'd be one thing for the Staff to pretend that that's all the roles they wanted, but instead let some more "special" roles slip through. From knowing many of these Staff, I doubt they were disingenuous, and that's an unfair accusation.

Whatever the case, I think the takeaway message is that if you have an outlandish, cool idea, you should go for it and ask if you have permission to do it. You get a lot more interesting concepts out there if you go with your gut and see if Staff will work with you on doing it. I've never hesitated on giving players a chance to execute their character concept if I thought it was feasible, even if wasn't something I thought or was looking for.
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby krelm » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:47 pm

OKAY I GET IT.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter