It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:20 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Orcs

Orcs

Orcs - First Impressions!

All things yrkin. A place for Staff and players alike to use this space to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. Please keep in-character information off of this board.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Orcs - First Impressions!

Postby Pallando » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:32 am

For those currently playing orcs, please feel free to leave your first impressions here of the game world. Does it meet expectations? Is the world as big as you thought it would be? Are there enough things to do? Is combat fun?

As always, no IC information! I'll be reading, but won't necessarily reply here unless absolutely necessary.

Thanks 8-)
Pallando
Roleplay Admin

Re: Orcs - First Impressions!

Postby WorkerDrone » Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:24 am

Two boots and a hoot! I'm having fun.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby Droll » Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:30 am

WorkerDrone wrote:Two boots and a hoot! I'm having fun.

Dibs on the boots.

Side note: we need to schedule an install torches everywhere RPT pretty soon. As soon as mine runs out, I'm burning Mirkwood down for lighting.
[A burning comet headed straight for your head is online. Use NOTIFY to reply in kind.]
Droll
Honored Dwarf

Postby Matt » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:46 am

Diagonals are as horrible as I expected, no offense. Adding all that in makes it incredibly confusing and increases the danger exponentially.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby Icarus » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:05 am

I'll see what I can do to make the it less crazy up in those mountains.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Songweaver » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:12 am

I don't think non-cardinal directions alone are intimidating. But, definitely, the more exits a room has, the more aggressive NPCs it's going to draw to it when occupied by players. Tons of 6-8 exit rooms are a concern of mine.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Zargen » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:17 am

My few thoughts.

The directions hurt my head and are a pain. downsouthwest...yea.

These tunnels go every which way possible and are dark.

We cant see in them. Even if we'd need a torch to see in the room it'd be nice to tell what the adjacent room titles are.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby Hawkwind » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:45 am

Tell us how it feels to be back in SOI again!
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby Icarus » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:54 am

Putting in wall mounted torches.

Made it clearer in the tunnels which way is out. (I made signs!)

Made the exit from the tunnels to the mountain clearer and non-progged. Also made it non-diagonal.

Adding some trail rooms to provide a bit of direction.

"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Matt » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:32 pm

So we don't have coinage but the tavern takes cash. I don't understand. :) Shouldn't be free but maybe just make us make our own stuff.
Matt
Ent Sapling

Postby krelm » Sat Jun 07, 2014 12:49 pm

My favorite part is that I have a MUD to play again.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Droll » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:41 pm

Seriously, thank you for the torches. They are a major help, and fixing that god awful stairwell. :P

Matt wrote:So we don't have coinage but the tavern takes cash. I don't understand. :) Shouldn't be free but maybe just make us make our own stuff.

He accepts payment?

I'm digging the orc sphere so far. The number of deaths is substantially lower than I thought they'd be. Also you gais are awesome at being orcs.
[A burning comet headed straight for your head is online. Use NOTIFY to reply in kind.]
Droll
Honored Dwarf

Postby Pallando » Sat Jun 07, 2014 6:29 pm

Droll wrote:Seriously, thank you for the torches. They are a major help, and fixing that god awful stairwell. :P

Matt wrote:So we don't have coinage but the tavern takes cash. I don't understand. :) Shouldn't be free but maybe just make us make our own stuff.

He accepts payment?

I'm digging the orc sphere so far. The number of deaths is substantially lower than I thought they'd be. Also you gais are awesome at being orcs.

Currently 2 ways (plots) to earn cash ICly. Find out more, or create plots to suggest for money earning :D

Editing to add: there will eventually be basic ways to earn some small cash, once we've got around to the crafts and systems! Keep an eye out.
Pallando
Roleplay Admin

Postby Icristhus » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:12 pm

I'm a bit concerned that since orcs have no vision at night and no daylight penalties that are not RP'd, that we'll soon wind up with orcs going out in the day time only.

It was a bit jarring to me to think, "I want to go outside and look around. Too bad it's dawn... Wait, that's the best time to go out!" as an orc player.
Icristhus
Forum Hobbit

Postby toofast » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:22 pm

Icristhus wrote:I'm a bit concerned that since orcs have no vision at night and no daylight penalties that are not RP'd, that we'll soon wind up with orcs going out in the day time only.

It was a bit jarring to me to think, "I want to go outside and look around. Too bad it's dawn... Wait, that's the best time to go out!" as an orc player.

That's pretty much what's meant to happen, though. No one is going to walk around in the middle of the night with a torch to go hunting.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Brian » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:40 pm

But if everyone has to use torches it doesn't really matter. Both sides are going to have to use torches in the night, so they're at the same relative advantage, aren't they? Or is the concern more about PvE?
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby Icristhus » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:52 pm

Oh, I understand the PvP ramifications for it, and don't mind that.

It's just the immersion factor for me. I like to go out and explore the game world, but in order to do that I effectively need to play an orc that likes to go out exclusively in the sunlight for some odd reason.

Note: 'For some odd reason' refers to the orc's preference for day time. Not the code decision to put orcs and humans on an even pvp footing.
Icristhus
Forum Hobbit

Postby Icarus » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:10 pm

Orcs certainly don't like to go out in the bright light. But mirkwood is pitch black at night. In the day, it's still pretty dark!

Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Taurgalas » Sat Jun 07, 2014 10:46 pm

Just to say, my first impressions of the orcs is that there have been a LOT of deaths. And that there has also been some phenomenally good RP. Kudos to those of you whose scenes I have watched. :D
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Icarus » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:04 pm

10 deaths in 24hrs. Y'dun good.

Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Onasaki » Sat Jun 07, 2014 11:55 pm

Loving it so far, but the slow times are kinda dull when you don't got materials.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby irkallia » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:38 am

Abbreviations for the insane directions don't seem to be working consistently.

Typing "unw" for upnorthwest worked, but dsw (downsouthwest") did not. I haven't been able to extensively test this on all the 14,000 directionals, as this flaw led to my PC's death.
irkallia
Verified Member

Postby Nimrod » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:46 am

irkallia wrote:Abbreviations for the insane directions don't seem to be working consistently.

Typing "unw" for upnorthwest worked, but dsw (downsouthwest") did not. I haven't been able to extensively test this on all the 14,000 directionals, as this flaw led to my PC's death.

It's not perfect, but the big thing that the new directions will allow us to do is let you climb mountains in a more meaningful way rather than just the 'up' and 'down' directions.

If it provides you comfort, we are talking about cutting down on the complexity and perhaps trimming the number of exits in each room as folks have mentioned before. We're only talking about this now because of the issue you raised that led to your char's death.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Icristhus » Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:19 am

Nimrod wrote:
irkallia wrote:Abbreviations for the insane directions don't seem to be working consistently.

It's not perfect, but the big thing that the new directions will allow us to do is let you climb mountains in a more meaningful way rather than just the 'up' and 'down' directions.

If it provides you comfort, we are talking about cutting down on the complexity and perhaps trimming the number of exits in each room as folks have mentioned before. We're only talking about this now because of the issue you raised that led to your char's death.

Reducing the number of exits in individual rooms would probably be a good thing.

There's so many of them that I came extremely close to PC death as well, just because I got lost literally two rooms away from the cave mouth.

Spent several minutes fleeing in circles trying to find my way back inside with a hostile mob chasing me every step of the way.

Having [North, West, South, Up, Down, Northwest, Northeast, Southwest, Upnorthwest, Upsouthwest, downsoutheast, upnorth, downsouth, overunderdownup]

At the top of just about every single wilderness room I encountered just got outrageously confusing, even without having to flee from super deadly wildlife that had already massacre'd dozens of orcs (NPC and PC alike).

Granted, you could say that having ten-plus exits per wilderness room is realistically confusing, but it's also realistically extremely frustrating to have no idea how to walk back inside of a cave my PC just stepped outside of.

As for the abbreviations not working consistently, I've noticed that as well. Not only that, but they don't seem to work at all in combination with the sneak command.
Icristhus
Forum Hobbit

Postby Icristhus » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:24 am

Whoa. I ran into a wolf and it didn't attack me. Wild! (A random thought I just had)
Icristhus
Forum Hobbit

Next

Return to Orcs

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login