It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:10 am
Change font size
Forum Home Public Orcs

Orcs

Orcs - First Impressions!

All things yrkin. A place for Staff and players alike to use this space to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. Please keep in-character information off of this board.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Orcs - First Impressions!

Postby Throttle » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:28 am

Probably would turn out different if it was wolves. See if you can find a pack!
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Letters » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:41 am

Not an orc impression, but regarding diagonal exits: if they can all be mapped onto a grid, with diagonal lines running from the corner of one square to another to indicate non-cardinal directions. If going northwest can also be accomplished by going north and then west (assuming there's space for it and you're not traversing a tunnel or ravine or such), then great. If going north then west takes you to somewhere different from where northwest goes, I think it could get confusing fast.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Icristhus » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:49 am

Most of the time northwest gets you to the same place north and then west or west and then north does.

But other times, it doesn't.

And the real confusion is with things like downsoutheast from a room that otherwise goes east, north, west, northwest, southwest, and up.

For the most part, it's not quite as horrible as it seemed to me the first time I had to run away from deadly NPCs, but it's definitely not intuitive for me yet.

Edit to add: downsoutheast gets confusing when it takes you from that room to a room where you can go northwest and then up and be completely confused as to where you've ended up.
Icristhus
Forum Hobbit

Postby WorkerDrone » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:17 am

Nimrod wrote:
irkallia wrote:Abbreviations for the insane directions don't seem to be working consistently.

Typing "unw" for upnorthwest worked, but dsw (downsouthwest") did not. I haven't been able to extensively test this on all the 14,000 directionals, as this flaw led to my PC's death.

It's not perfect, but the big thing that the new directions will allow us to do is let you climb mountains in a more meaningful way rather than just the 'up' and 'down' directions.

If it provides you comfort, we are talking about cutting down on the complexity and perhaps trimming the number of exits in each room as folks have mentioned before. We're only talking about this now because of the issue you raised that led to your char's death.

This also resulted in the death of my character, I think it's really near impossible to know which way is up with all these directions, that and no matter what you do, there's eight angles of attack guaranteeing you can't evade critters.

Can confirm the likely death of a couple others because of it. Sux, but that's life.

ETA:

Also, since I'm not a big fan of creating spun wheels when there's mud around, I don't think armor needs to be changed any, but two mobs in the immediate area of one sphere seem brutally efficient at killing one PC. And I don't mean--they shouldn't be able to, that stands to reason they should.

I'm saying they did it in a second flat, because of a combination of deflect starting very low, since you know, you can't really expect to do so well with it low, but that isn't as big a problem itself beside the quantifying factor of:

Wildlife is stronk. Maybe a bit too strong for the zones and the State of Playability. We'll see if that's true or not in a couple weeks, depending on how steep the slog of death and concepts is, but I personally, and a friend of mine, wrote a background that encompassed a great deal of time, and I don't intend to stop doing that.

Just my two cents!
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby Icarus » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:05 am

I've reduced the number of wargs just a bit.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby WorkerDrone » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:24 am

My impression on the danger goes a little farther. I guess for posterity I could summarize everything I've observed so far.

1: Armor is fine the way it is, there is a slope to be passed and it doesn't help by changing structured tiers, as long as everything -is- actually, you know, balanced to be effective. There's no point in forcing people to wear paper mache, when reasonably any sane person would just make the armor thicker if it was too thin.

2: The 8+ directions in a room needs to go. Four is still incredibly dangerous on the merit that--I'll cover this in 3.

3: Mobs are back to old SoI standard I think, in which they do not have an AI. This means they will continue to attack until they kill themselves on whatever they attack.

4: Deflect was a bit too low for a number of people, due to an element of randomness, but that's super easy to fix, so it doesn't merit a longer explanation.

5: Removing the number of wargs in that zone might not completely fix the problem, but I won't comment on this decision until I've lost another character to a different vector of Alpha-Wonkiness.

Cheers!
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby krelm » Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:34 am

As for the abbreviations not working consistently, I've noticed that as well. Not only that, but they don't seem to work at all in combination with the sneak command.

I noticed this, as well. I think you can't even do 'sneak ne,' you have to type out the whole thing with 'sneak northeast.'
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Zargen » Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:57 pm

Got jumped by a couple spiders and a couple wargs five seconds after leaving out of a cave. From all directions. Think im staying in the caves from now on. At least theres usually less exits to get jumped from.
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Postby toofast » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:24 pm

I agree, 8 directions is way too many. It's hell until you get used to it, and even then it's a... less severe variation of hell. Sneak and hide are extremely dangerous because each room is full of wildlife. You have to wait a good 10 minutes in order to move. Which is annoying but sometimes fun. Just chilling and watching all these baddies go past.

Wargs haul ass and are snarfagling scary. Love seeing them when I'm out alone. But yeah, solo hunting and scavving and all that shit is impossible.

Loving it so far, btw. Think the playerbase is ironing out some kinks still.
Last edited by toofast on Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Nimrod » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:35 pm

Icristhus wrote:Edit to add: downsoutheast gets confusing when it takes you from that room to a room where you can go northwest and then up and be completely confused as to where you've ended up.

This should NEVER happen. All exits should be logical, nw should be the same as north and then west. Always.

If you run into this, the TYPO command is your friend. Please make use of it and explain the issue as best you can. We will be fixing these little things.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby Icristhus » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:46 pm

Nimrod wrote:
Icristhus wrote:Edit to add: downsoutheast gets confusing when it takes you from that room to a room where you can go northwest and then up and be completely confused as to where you've ended up.

This should NEVER happen. All exits should be logical, nw should be the same as north and then west. Always.

If you run into this, the TYPO command is your friend. Please make use of it and explain the issue as best you can. We will be fixing these little things.

Will do, the next time I encounter that.
Icristhus
Forum Hobbit

Postby Brian » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:14 am

Nimrod wrote:

Couldn't agree more. Old SoI had these in Ithilien, weird exits that would warp you to completely unexpected places. Everything should be on a systematic grid that totally makes sense. Happy to hear it's the official policy!
Brian
Honored Elf

Postby LadyMizra » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:13 pm

I'm a newbie to SOI, and my orc char is my first char. So far I'm having a lot of fun! I haven't experienced the diagonals yet myself, but they sound frustrating. I guess I don't have much to say yet, being a newb, but I'm having fun with you guys, so kudos <3
LadyMizra
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Onasaki » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:06 pm

I'm enjoying it immensely.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby Pallando » Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:44 pm

Moved to the new orc forums.
Pallando
Roleplay Admin

Postby MarcusSaint » Sun Jun 29, 2014 11:21 pm

This is my first character and I chose an orc. Should've read the documents more, but so far, the rp on this side has been great.

Thanks for keeping it interesting!
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!!
MarcusSaint
Forum Hobbit

Postby Nyz » Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:18 am

I really like it! Most importantly, I really enjoy the orcish culture that the players have developed. It's harsh, but not outright abusive. Respect exists, and isn't just based on who has the biggest axe, but no one is coddled. When I first rolled an orc character, I was worried it would be far more like Warhammer/other fantasy orcs rather than Tolkienish, but you guys have captured that very well imho.
Nyz
Verified Member

Postby Hawkwind » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:18 am

Seconding the above.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby MarcusSaint » Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:22 pm

Gotta third the above.

Good culture.

Good RP.

Had another fun session tonite with stones, bodies, and rat guts. :D

I think it takes a little bit to move from room to room, and I'm use to being able to just look into other rooms without have to walk to the edge of a room and see, but I'm adjusting.

Again, quality players have been making this fun for me. Thanks again!!
The early bird may get the worm, but it's the second mouse that gets the cheese!!
MarcusSaint
Forum Hobbit

Postby Icarus » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:17 pm

You guys are doing awesome work, by the way.

Those tarks just complain complain complain, you guys make lemonade out of... you know. And that makes working with you all a pleasure.

I appreciate you being awesome.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby radioactivejesus » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:51 pm

Icarus wrote: you guys make lemonade out of... you know

Rat guts, dead goblins, limestone, clay and mud is the recipe, I believe :D
A really bad sword with a short blade lies here.
look sword
This sword hardly even a sword. It's kind of really just a piece of metal bent like a sword. Its blade is rather short. Kind of pathetic, really.
radioactivejesus
Ent Sapling

Postby EltanimRas » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:12 am

Icarus wrote:Those tarks just complain complain complain, you guys make lemonade out of... you know. And that makes working with you all a pleasure.

>brews Icarus a tall glass of complaint lemonade, with extra sugar<
EltanimRas
Master Ent

Postby MarcusSaint » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:35 am

radioactivejesus wrote:
Icarus wrote: you guys make lemonade out of... you know

Rat guts, dead goblins, limestone, clay and mud is the recipe, I believe :D

Don't forget STRAWBERRYs. ;)
MarcusSaint
Forum Hobbit

Postby Hawkwind » Wed Jul 02, 2014 12:38 pm

Ahaaa.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby MarcusSaint » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:40 pm

Poor constitution for an orc.... IS POOR!!!!

ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
MarcusSaint
Forum Hobbit

PreviousNext

Return to Orcs

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login