It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:20 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Traps

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Traps

Postby MrT2G » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:47 pm

Are they planned in any form outside of crafts that spawn npcs?
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Re: Traps

Postby Letters » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:49 pm

Did you play Atonement or Parallel? The code's in place, but it tended to cause crashes more often than it was worth, and it was also grossly overpowered when a PC had a high enough hunting skill. I imagine it would need a huge overhaul.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Taurgalas » Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:59 pm

Precisely as Letters said. We have no intention of putting this back in until (and that is if) it is fully overhauled and recoded. The idea's a good one, but it was badly overpowered and absurdly buggy, causing crashes and so on. So someday, perhaps, but not anytime soon.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby tehkory » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:04 pm

Letters wrote:Did you play Atonement or Parallel? The code's in place, but it tended to cause crashes more often than it was worth

I didn't find that they caused too many crashes to eliminate their worthfulness on Atonement, in closed-approach environments...

it was also grossly overpowered when a PC had a high enough hunting skill. I imagine it would need a huge overhaul.

But good lord did they make PvE so much more beautifully survivable. And in an open-PVP environment the real issue is the drop-and-forget nature, especially if they're break-on-use.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby MrT2G » Sun Jun 08, 2014 1:23 pm

The biggest change I'd see being needed is that in outdoor environments, it should only work on items, while indoor exits/doorways could be trapped.

Anyways, I'll sit around and twiddling my thumbs hoping my char lives to see it make it in. :?
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby Songweaver » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:36 pm

Traps were never fully finished by Kithrater. You could design a few basic types of traps that wouldn't break the game, but making a simple error (admin-side) would cause crashes. Not to mention that the syntax of actually laying down a trap, for a player, was less than intuitive.

With skillchecks and skillgains possible to acquire through scripting, it always seemed like a better way to re-design a system like this in the future would be with hunter craftprogs (such as those that allowed the building of bots like 'Skorpios', or corpse research, etc) that allow for branching and improved design, but also work off of the robust scripting engine when triggered.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login