It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:06 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Crafting Questions

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Crafting Questions

Postby Zargen » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:00 pm

I only have one for now but im sure other players will have some too.

Earthencraft as far as I can tell has no documentation, helpfile or craft list. What exactly is it going to be used for?
Zargen
Honored Dwarf

Re: Crafting Questions

Postby Icarus » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:06 pm

Pottery.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby WildGiller » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:12 pm

EARTHENCRAFT
This skill's primary attributes are DEXTERITY and STRENGTH
A skill encompassing one's ability to craft earthenware from natural materials like clay.

To me, sounds like Pottery?
WildGiller
Honored Dwarf

Postby Taurgalas » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:26 pm

That would be correct! :) It does not currently have crafts, but it will.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Icarus » Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:51 pm

I want to make a jug! With a face on it.

"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Hazgarn » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:26 pm

It's been a long time since I've played, and the code has changed a lot, so I'm a bit confused on which general/general-outdoors/general-cooking crafts we're supposed to have, and whether we'll branch the ones we don't have later.

For instance:
Craft: general-outdoors Sub: firewood Cmd: bundle
Craft: general-outdoors Sub: dropwood Cmd: collect
Craft: general-outdoors Sub: campfire Cmd: build

I don't have "build campfire". Am I supposed to? If I don't, will I branch it later through using other outdoors crafts?
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Songweaver » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:41 pm

m campfire

General-outdoors: build campfire
Only Usable In: Field Hills Woods Forest Mirkwood Mirkwood-Orc Mirkwood-Deep Mirkwood-Spider Pasture Heath Mirkwood-Valley
Usable During: no rain
Phase 1: 20 seconds
Phase 2: 20 seconds
Held or in Room (Consumed): a bundle of firewood.
Phase 3: 20 seconds
Phase 4: 20 seconds
Phase 5: 1 seconds
Produced: a merrily crackling campfire.

I have this craft, under "crafts general-outdoors". I don't believe it's one that branches. You should have it too.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Erythil » Sun Jun 08, 2014 4:47 pm

Several crafts currently seem to have a fairly small or empty craft list. Is there any way players can write up and submit crafts for admin approval to help out with the process of getting everything where it needs to be?
Erythil
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:03 pm

*ponder* I see no reason why suggestions wouldn't be accepted.

Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Hazgarn » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:16 pm

Songweaver wrote:I have this craft, under "crafts general-outdoors". I don't believe it's one that branches. You should have it too.

I have it now, from shortly after I posted, so they may have fixed the problem. Not sure if it was a general problem for a few people or just me.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby caellyndria » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:12 pm

Can we have a butchery opening craft that doesn't require and consume a jar each time, pleeeeease?
caellyndria
Verified Member

Postby Hazgarn » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:22 pm

There's a fishing craft and a general craft that each get you a dead fish.

There's a general craft that guts that fish, giving you a cleaned fish.

There's a cooking craft for grilling a fish...fillet.

Is there a craft or something somewhere that fillets the fish?
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Onasaki » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:03 am

Although I don't have metal yet, but I pointed out there's no way to get ingots without smelting.

And there are no smelting crafts for metalworking.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:14 am

Does weight of a pelt matter in crafting? Or is 'less than a pound' fox pelt the same as a '2 pound' fox pelt?
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby teepu » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:54 am

caellyndria wrote:Can we have a butchery opening craft that doesn't require and consume a jar each time, pleeeeease?

Second-ed!
teepu
Guide

Postby AdamBlue » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:15 am

Hi, so, being the premier foodstuffs maker for the orcs, I've got a few complaints and queries-

1: Why can't I fill my pot with the water from our watersource? I'm boiling it anyway, so it should be just as okay. I need it for a few crafts, including

'boil bland-gamebird' (which is supposed to make bird fat, a boiled bird, and some bird stock in a pot)

and to actually pull the feathers from a bird with the 'pluck game-bird feathers'.
Another problem with that craft is that it -REQUIRES- a barrel with water in it, even though it doesn't make any conceivable sense why when I already have water in that pot.

In addition, my spit disappears on EVERY crash, and every time it disappears I need to petition for a new one. Which means I gotta wait for an admin to pop on and not be busy to return it. I would like to see this looked into!

There are a lot of things that orcs do not have access to as a whole for cooking! For some reason, I -NEED- gloves to do a lot of crafts with hot water! Why is this?! What is the point? I do cooking with boiling water WITHOUT gloves IRL all the time, and it's frustrating that I NEED gloves!

I need many tools that just don't seem to work. Like a metal grate to grill things, for example, or a sheet to roast nuts.

For brewing, none of the materials seem to pop up. Why do I need, specifically, a basket of plums for specifically for 'make yeast-water'? Where do I get the mushrooms for 'ferment mushroom-yeast-water', and why does THAT -require- a water barrel? Where do I get a mash tun? Where do I get a Quern? Where do I get a baking sheet?

Why don't I have any crafts with 'baking' when I took the skill? Is it useless? Am I bugged? Are there no baking skills at all? I have none of them!

Sorry for the wall, but man, there's a buncha stuff.
AdamBlue
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Olthadir » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:58 am

I can speak on some of your questions AdamBlue.

The brewing issues:

Everything with ale and yeast is supposed to be a human skill. It should be fixed in the future, thanks for pointing that out.
The plums are for making yeast (plums are a good natural source for yeast) and that, again, is a human craft.

The mushrooms can be found by foraging in the caves to make the orcish brewing crafts. The water barrel is required because you need water to ferment the mushrooms. That said, other sources should be allowed as well, but I think that is on a list of things to add.

The same with all the other crafts that require a water source. Others might be added. I think there is also an issue with the code for allowing standing water sources (rivers, ponds and pots of water) use in crafts as opposed to a barrel filled with water. The staff is aware and will be looking at that when more pressing matters are dealt with.

Baking does not have any crafts yet. The staff will add them when they have time.

Remember, we opened a few days ago and this is Alpha. There are a lot of things that are not finished and need to be tweaked here and there. Tons of crafts have not been created yet in favour of opening sooner and allowing some of the more basic things to be hammered out before adding them.

ETA: the gloves are to protect your hands from the hot pot that is boiling. You may not need to use gloves while boiling water, and for that fact, neither do I, but these pots do not have the same insulation as the pots we have. Added, the handles are very close to the pot itself.
Last edited by Olthadir on Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Olthadir
Honored Dwarf

Postby Taurgalas » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:59 am

Okay, fielding these one at a time.

First. BUTCHERY DOES NOT HAVE CRAFTS YET. There is one. That was put in for the orcs for brewing and for future use for the humans. There are no other crafts. Butchery is a skill with non-craft uses and crafts will be installed later. This is Alpha. Be patient.

Other skills that do not yet have crafts and you'll have to be patient on: farming, baking, gardening, herbalism, medicine, earthencraft. This should have been disclosed. There was no intention to open with crafts in any of those skills OR in butchery either. You guys got lucky to get a single craft.

Textilecraft has JUST had its first two crafts added. Openers. There are no others yet. Again. Please be patient.

Most spit crafts actually can use two different sorts of spits - there is a general-outdoors craft that if you gather wood, will allow you to produce your own crude spit. Not as much fun as having one that's permanent, but we're in alpha and there will be bugs.

Weights do not matter for the pelts as the weight doesn't truly designate the overall size of the pelt - just the density.

The cooking craft was adjusted last evening - because it's supposed to use both the whole fish - or the fish fillets. The fillets can be butchered from the gutted fish. Try it. No craft involved. You'll find there are many places butchery works without a craft.

I don't think there is a smelting craft yet. There also are no mining crafts. Metal is absurdly difficult to come by, though, so I wouldn't sweat it.

Crafts are welcome to be submitted, but we're not exactly in a state to simply be taking suggestions. We've got a LOT of crafts yet to be built and few enough people with familiarity with crafting and variables to do so. If, however, you provide your idea complete with the objects (short descriptions are fine) used, a first person and room based echo/emote for each phase of the craft and information on the product, we MAY incorporate it. You can send this stuff to me.

taurgalas@middle-earth.us or PM me, though my PM box tends to fill rapidly.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Icarus » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:04 am

:nom:

Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:30 am

Yay Taurgalas!

:nom: :nom:
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Onasaki » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:30 am

Hazzaah!

But that makes some of us crafters very useless and sad. T_T

I have patience, but my character does not. T_T
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby caellyndria » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:45 am

I understand it's alpha. I'm not trying to be rude with the butchery bit, but it just gums up the works for any food to be cut or processed or cooked, which is why I reported it. There's a backlog of carcasses in the kitchen.
caellyndria
Verified Member

Postby Onasaki » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:45 am

Just cut them up. There may be no crafts, but you can still butcher them. You can cook the meat too. Orcs have been doing fine with it.
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby Tiamat » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:48 am

If you have any inquiries about how to make your written crafts ready for "load in" for admins, please feel free to IM me at TiamatARPI. I'm sure the SOI admins would love you forever if you put it in a format that can be easily copy pasted and loaded into the game.
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby caellyndria » Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:48 am

Onasaki wrote:Just cut them up. There may be no crafts, but you can still butcher them. You can cook the meat too. Orcs have been doing fine with it.

Okay, here's the issue I don't think people are aware of-- how does that work? It had to be done with crafts before.
caellyndria
Verified Member

Next

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login