It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:43 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Public Comment - Exits

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Public Comment - Exits

Postby Icarus » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:19 am

Comments regarding the reduction of your avg number of rexits in the wilderness from 8 to an average of 4, with allowances for a few more in unique situations like trails, rivers, and other items.

This is less about the new directions and simply about there being SO many exits.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Re: Public Comment - Exits

Postby Throttle » Tue Jun 10, 2014 6:21 am

Seems like a good idea. You can do a lot with 'enter' progs as an alternative to exits, and it also has the added benefit of slowing movement down a little and encouraging people to read descriptions. Just try to use ansi-highlighting for obvious things like paths, caves etc.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Letters » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:08 am

I'd like a reduction of eight to four. Eight gets very confusing.

One caveat: retain at least one room worth of diagonal scan for the sake of not blundering in on aggro NPCs that you really should have seen.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Nezerin » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:51 pm

I would keep any exits that are special, such as those following rivers or roads or what have you, but pitch the extras for the sake of both survivability and ease of use.
Nezerin
Forum Hobbit

Postby Icristhus » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:17 pm

Personally, I would have been completely and totally in favor of this just a few days ago.

But since I've gotten used to the 8 exit minimum, I've actually gotten to really like wilderness to be that way. My vote would be for keeping things as-is, at least for right now, and see if more people get used to it and start to enjoy it, too.

A lot of my protest was just a knee-jerk reaction of "Oh god, I'm so confused."
Icristhus
Forum Hobbit

Postby krelm » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:48 pm

It's sort of irritating when you type 'scan' to read rnames and have to scroll to read them. Also annoying that shooting bows in those directions crashes the game.

Otherwise, I got over them.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Icristhus » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:28 am

krelm wrote:It's sort of irritating when you type 'scan' to read rnames and have to scroll to read them. Also annoying that shooting bows in those directions crashes the game.

Otherwise, I got over them.

I haven't run into the issue of shooting in the new directions crashing the game.. I've actually done it quite a few times now, too.

Might just be lucky, though, or maybe it's just a specific exit?
Icristhus
Forum Hobbit

Postby toofast » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:34 am

To be honest, since I've gotten used to them and the number of terrible baddies around the orc crib has been reduced, I don't mind them nearly as much. Good for shooting baddies, bad for running away.

However, I'd support them being taken out and that four rooms become the average throughout the wilderness.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby gyre » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:04 am

I first started on a MUD with diagonals and much prefer it.

I suppose wooded areas etc could have less as travelling easily in every direction could be hard, but it would be better if they weren't always cardinal directions.
gyre
Verified Member

Postby WorkerDrone » Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:08 am

I'd rather go back to four directions.

Keeping diagonals scan-able though, would be awesome.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby Songweaver » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:22 am

I doubt that best of both worlds is really an option here, in regards to scan vs travel in non-cardinal directions.

As I said elsewhere, I don't think it's the non-cardinal directions that are problematic for me (I haven't ran into any that didn't make sense and weren't easily navigated), but the overall number of exits in some areas of the wilderness.

- It's easier to control mob flow with fewer exits, because there's a higher percentage chance for them to randomly choose to move in one of the directions that you want them to. If manipulating the movement of wildlife through strategic mapping is important to SOI, fewer exits will aid this (particularly in key areas).

- Fleeing is difficult in areas with many exits, not just because navigation has a new learning curve, but because it is more difficult for PCs to break line-of-sight with the baddies chasing them and easier to pull aggro from more nearby wildlife while on the move.

- More exits means more aggressive wildlife find PCs all at once in the wilderness. This means, instead of patrols dealing with many small fights, they are more likely to have fewer big fights; this means more spam, more immediate danger, and less long-term danger for patrols. The more exits there are, the more quickly swathes of the wilderness will get cleared of dangerous wildlife.

I think 3-4 should probably be the norm, but for in specific areas (like a vast clearing or areas adjacent to the river) where you can use the design of being able to have 6-8 exits to create a sense of "being open and vulnerable". It doesn't make as much sense to be so vulnerable from all directions in the forest as it does in an area where it would be much easier to become spotted.

Just my food for thought.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Eru » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:49 pm

Yes I agree with the consensus here, reduce it down to 4 exits in open areas.
Eru
Guide

Postby toofast » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:01 pm

Songweaver wrote:

I think 3-4 should probably be the norm, but for in specific areas (like a vast clearing or areas adjacent to the river) where you can use the design of being able to have 6-8 exits to create a sense of "being open and vulnerable". It doesn't make as much sense to be so vulnerable from all directions in the forest as it does in an area where it would be much easier to become spotted.

I think this is a really fine idea.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login