Change font size

General Discussion

How trauma works

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

How trauma works

Postby Letters » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:50 am

Since it was asked:

Trauma was a major mechanic where firearms where involved, and to a lesser extent melee. It may still apply to archery.

Here's what it does: when you take a hit or you bleed from a wound, as well as sustaining damage, you'll take some trauma damage. To my understanding, trauma is governed primarily by willpower. Trauma regenerates quite quickly. When your trauma hits zero, your character collapses to the ground. Not unconscious, but certainly unable to keep going.

I assume that being shot at still reduces trauma. With firearms, it did, even if you weren't hit. I've yet to test it with arrows, but getting hit by a bullet made quite a dent on trauma. I imagine that arrows do the same.

It comes into play in brawling, where people tend to collapse long before they're knocked unconscious.

All that said, with the absence of firearms and bows being, you know, just bows, trauma really isn't tremendously important any longer.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Re: How trauma works

Postby alexjones » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:00 am

Okay thanks for filling me in, if you want my opinion I think trauma should just be removed, we already have health and stamina, don't think trauma is necessary as well, especially if it doesn't seem to do much. But that's just my opinion i'll let the staff decide what to do with it.
alexjones
Verified Member

Postby tehkory » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:53 am

alexjones wrote:Okay thanks for filling me in, if you want my opinion I think trauma should just be removed, we already have health and stamina, don't think trauma is necessary as well, especially if it doesn't seem to do much. But that's just my opinion i'll let the staff decide what to do with it.

This is, unfortunately, one of those situations that would make an already less-than-useful stat more useless. Trauma comes from willpower. Currently, strength's still pretty much the best stat, with con/int coming in neck-and-neck for second. Agi/wil, followed by presence and dexterity. There are planned changes to fix some of this(like actual craftsuites past oquality to make crafting nonviable for poor dex), but removing willpower certainly won't help the disparity.

In short: bad bad, bad bad bad bad, bad idea. Trauma is another means to help characters from becoming invincible. It's more necessary than Letters puts it. Even if in only 10% of cases do you drop from trauma before you do your HP, that 10% still matters.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Songweaver » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:39 am

Willpower also helps you save against somatic effects like concussion and bone breaks when they check to cause adverse reactions to your ability to properly move/fight. Under SOI's changes it also heavily factors into all of your skill caps.

For what it's worth, agility does a lot. A lot. It's referenced in combat code more than any other stat. It's sort of the combat "luck" stat in that having high agility will make your character appear luckier than others in a lot of small, but meaningful ways.

The advantage to the diversity of this system is that you could prioritize in a lot of different ways for different effective combat builds. Nimrod's changes only have further diversified.

I do agree that trauma should stay. It was arguably too strong in ARPI's gun-code, but bows are less rapid fire and it should be relatively balanced in the current system. As said above, it certainly can still make a big difference.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:41 am

Could tie willpower into health/stamina regen somehow, if it isn't already a factor there, to give it another reason to be useful. And I'm surprised people are talking about dex being a dump/less-than-useful stat, when it's one of the factors listed for Deflect and half the craft skills.

--Disclaimer : The above are the words of a newb.
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby Songweaver » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:03 pm

Willpower is definitely quite important, though not really the most important stat for combat. Dex affects a lot of combat skillcaps and is used for background checks for some small combat utilities (though not as much as agility). It's definitely very useful for people who use bows, also.

Presence is maybe the closest thing to a combat dumpstat (unless you don't consider skillgain penalties with INT as a big deal, because you make up for those penalties by playing a LOT). Even still, if everyone dumps Presence, getting rescues in dangerous situations could be difficult, and those situations, disasterous.

If you can not look at being good in combat as a catch all, and instead consider what specific role(s) you want to design your character to take in combat, any of the stats can play key roles in your build. Or, you can play a jack-of-all-trades by keeping things fairly steady across the board.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby toofast » Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:37 pm

Out of 5 lost fights, using the best newbie armor available in the sphere and live weapons, a character with average wil and good con collapsed 2 out of 5 times due to their trauma being wrecked. Yeah, wil's pretty damn useful. And depending on the character, agility is more useful than con. Note, in all fights both sides were using bludgeons.

Because dropping due to trauma is just as fatal as getting knocked uncon in real PvP. Probably even more depressing and frustrating, to be honest. Not to mention fractures.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby WorkerDrone » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:14 pm

Don't change willpower.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby Throttle » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:36 pm

Willpower is great. It lessens the skill penalties you suffer from being wounded. Now that it also seems to affect a bunch of crafts, it seems to be one of the really good all-round stats.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby kestrel » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:41 pm

Throttle wrote:Willpower is great. It lessens the skill penalties you suffer from being wounded. Now that it also seems to affect a bunch of crafts, it seems to be one of the really good all-round stats.

At least in the old SOI code, every time you took a combat action while wounded I seem to recall that you rolled against your willpower, and if you failed the roll your action carried a penalty. That's parrying, attacking, whatever. So yeah - assuming the code still works that way, having a really low willpower means that your PC is going to be severely gimped once s/he's hurting a bit.
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby tehkory » Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:56 pm

I didn't say the stats didn't have value. I simply mean that they don't give as much gain as the others.

You don't suddenly gain the ability to do anything -new- at superhuman con/agi/wil/int. Or peak. You don't -lose- any abilities with those stats at poor. Compare that to strength, where there are obvious, immediate -bursts- of capability at notable levels...and you're going to see disparities. It's obvious.

ETA:

They all have obvious scaling gains, sure. Strength just has the obvious bonuses of increasing your ability to wield weapons when you go to average, peak, or superhuman. Anything that focuses on -skillcaps- (IE dexterity) is nerfed because we don't have -ordinary- crafting, much less good or superb. Hell, we don't really have much -poor- crafting right now.
Last edited by tehkory on Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby kestrel » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:02 pm

Oh, absolutely. I'm not saying strength isn't a better stat for combat characters - just that willpower is by no means a dump stat and could rival constitution as far its utility.
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby tehkory » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:03 pm

kestrel wrote:Oh, absolutely. I'm not saying strength isn't a better stat for combat characters - just that willpower is by no means a dump stat and could rival constitution as far its utility.

I think it's slightly under constitution, traumadeath vs. nontrauma death, especially if constitution now has an effect on carrying capacity(as Staff have said it does now). Str, con/int(second place), agi/wil, dex/pres, like I said. Again, purely for combat stats, but...there's no crafting game right now, so it's hard to recommend it.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby krelm » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:11 pm

tehkory wrote:Strength just has the obvious bonuses of increasing your ability to wield weapons when you go to average, peak, or superhuman.

It looks like this has actually been removed. I've been a lot of PCs with sub-peak strength able to dual-wield medium-sized weapons, mine included.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Throttle » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:15 pm

I do think strength is less superior in the current state of the game due to the absence of heavy armour and two-handed weapons. If these are ever added to the game, strength will probably be as great as it always was. Until then, most of what it does is kind of moot.

But that's pretty off-topic.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Icarus » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:20 pm

Continuing to fly off-topic, I'll be revamping weapons here in the near future to reflect one handed of two handed nature. Real great-swords, for instance.

And the moment I can prevent the ability to dual wield medium weapons, you bet your arse I will.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby kestrel » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:28 pm

tehkory wrote:
kestrel wrote:Oh, absolutely. I'm not saying strength isn't a better stat for combat characters - just that willpower is by no means a dump stat and could rival constitution as far its utility.

I think it's slightly under constitution, traumadeath vs. nontrauma death, especially if constitution now has an effect on carrying capacity(as Staff have said it does now). Str, con/int(second place), agi/wil, dex/pres, like I said. Again, purely for combat stats, but...there's no crafting game right now, so it's hard to recommend it.

I suppose it's also possible that strength is merely a secondary component of the Bludgeon skill cap equation, which would make "peak str" characters unable to get very far with their weapon of choice without a relatively lower constitution.
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby kestrel » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:29 pm

Icarus wrote:And the moment I can prevent the ability to dual wield medium weapons, you bet your arse I will.

*thumbs up*
kestrel
Honored Dwarf

Postby Throttle » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:46 pm

if constitution now has an effect on carrying capacity(as Staff have said it does now)

I suspect someone misspoke about that, or had an awkward way of saying that constitution helps you move better when carrying heavy gear because it gives stamina.
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Songweaver » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:34 pm

Agility is rolled when your character attempts to flee (vs your opponent's roll of dex), allows you quicker regen of balance after you switch stances or use a specialized combat command (shield bash), affects your ability to successfully switch your target in combat, and improves your accuracy when using "strike <bodypart>". I definitely think that STR/AGI are the two best combat commands for a lot of builds.

But like I said, you can design your combat character a lot of different, and completely valid ways!
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby tehkory » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:40 pm

Code: Select all
This attribute represents the constitution and physical make-up of your character, determining his or her overall health, stamina, and toughness. Those with a high constitution can generally wear heavier armor and travel further than others, and are able to better recover from wounds or injuries.

Directly from chargen. So possibly poorly-written.
tehkory
Master Ent

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login