It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:28 am
Change font size

General Discussion

Hunting Crafts: Snaring

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Hunting Crafts: Snaring

Postby MrT2G » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:09 pm

Just a quick observation;

Wouldn't it make more sense for the snaring crafts to produce corpses of the relevant animal upon success than actually live versions?

There could be a fail state where the snare breaks and a live version is produced, but otherwise they shouldn't be able to run away.

Right?
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Hunting Crafts: Snaring

Postby Taurgalas » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:03 am

If we could get the craft to operate that way within prog restrictions, sure, that'd be great. BUT there is no such thing as a failmob and half the fun is in trying to take what you're hunting and take it down. So for now, be happy you have viable crafts that give you something to play with. Besides, when you get to the bigger critters, they're not likely to be brought down with a simple snare around their ankle. :P
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
User avatar
Taurgalas
Master Ent
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:07 pm

Re: Hunting Crafts: Snaring

Postby Throttle » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:06 am

Maybe just rename the crafts. They used to be 'flush rabbit' and such instead of snare, which made it easier to explain why it was still able to get away.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
User avatar
Throttle
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:59 am

Re: Hunting Crafts: Snaring

Postby Letters » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:12 am

Snares:

Image

Oh. Topic. Right. Like Throttle said, just changing the name to flush might do it?
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:55 pm

Re: Hunting Crafts: Snaring

Postby Tiamat » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:27 am

Taurgalas wrote:If we could get the craft to operate that way within prog restrictions, sure, that'd be great. BUT there is no such thing as a failmob and half the fun is in trying to take what you're hunting and take it down. So for now, be happy you have viable crafts that give you something to play with. Besides, when you get to the bigger critters, they're not likely to be brought down with a simple snare around their ankle. :P


Pretty easy. Include a keyword for each mob that only admins will know, so players can't possibly be killed by the rend prog.

Code: Select all
rend xxrabbitcoolsecretkeywordxx -d 100


Blammo. Instant death when the rabbit spawns.
Image
User avatar
Tiamat
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: Hunting Crafts: Snaring

Postby Taurgalas » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:54 am

Which again requires a prog - which imms are prohibited from incorporating. Sorry, Tiamat.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
User avatar
Taurgalas
Master Ent
 
Posts: 661
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:07 pm

Re: Hunting Crafts: Snaring

Postby MrT2G » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:58 am

Can't you just have two different "spawns" in the craft?

IE if you pass the first check but fail the second, the craft spawns a live rabbit. BUT if you pass the first and second checks, the craft spawns a corpse? I'm not suggesting the craft spawns then kills the rabbit. It could even be a generic craft item like, "a dead, snared rabbit" which is skinned and produces a rabbit carcass.

I'm not talking about later crafts which bring in the larger game, but it is just silly for a "snared" rabbit to suddenly take off 3 rooms when it sees a player.
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Hunting Crafts: Snaring

Postby Tiamat » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:19 pm

MrT2G wrote:Can't you just have two different "spawns" in the craft?

IE if you pass the first check but fail the second, the craft spawns a live rabbit. BUT if you pass the first and second checks, the craft spawns a corpse? I'm not suggesting the craft spawns then kills the rabbit. It could even be a generic craft item like, "a dead, snared rabbit" which is skinned and produces a rabbit carcass.

I'm not talking about later crafts which bring in the larger game, but it is just silly for a "snared" rabbit to suddenly take off 3 rooms when it sees a player.


You could manually make a "carcass" object per hunting craft. The way the corpses are coded, though, mean that you'd be hard-pressed to make an object that also gives a pelt that ISN'T the actual corpse object. Progs aren't apparently allowed, so you can't solve it that way.

I suppose if it's small enough game, you could have the craft just spawn the pelt and carcass separately. Since it's small game, I don't think it'd matter too much that you get a freebie pelt.
Image
User avatar
Tiamat
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: Hunting Crafts: Snaring

Postby MrT2G » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:21 pm

lol, this becoming way too complicated.

I thought it'd be an easy fix.

Not a fan of the pelt/carcass solution personally.
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Hunting Crafts: Snaring

Postby Tiamat » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:25 pm

MrT2G wrote:lol, this becoming way too complicated.

I thought it'd be an easy fix.

Not a fan of the pelt/carcass solution personally.


There's reasons why it's done a certain way. The explanations are often complex. :p That said, you can't have it both ways. Either you get a carcass only (or with an independently loaded pelt), or you get to deal with rabbits that bolt away faster than the Flash. Those are codedly the options I see available with this engine. Perhaps another Staffer can give more insight.
Image
User avatar
Tiamat
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: Hunting Crafts: Snaring

Postby MrT2G » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:36 pm

Im just gonna drop it and deal with it, I suppose. :mrgreen:
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit
 
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:11 pm

Re: Hunting Crafts: Snaring

Postby tehkory » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:40 pm

Tiamat wrote:
MrT2G wrote:lol, this becoming way too complicated.

I thought it'd be an easy fix.

Not a fan of the pelt/carcass solution personally.


There's reasons why it's done a certain way. The explanations are often complex. :p That said, you can't have it both ways. Either you get a carcass only (or with an independently loaded pelt), or you get to deal with rabbits that bolt away faster than the Flash. Those are codedly the options I see available with this engine. Perhaps another Staffer can give more insight.

Why don't we just make them drop an object(like beetles in Atonement/our current birds do) that can -look- like a corpse, that you can GATHER from to get a skin and carcass?
tehkory
Master Ent
 
Posts: 619
Joined: Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: Hunting Crafts: Snaring

Postby Tiamat » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:43 pm

tehkory wrote:Why don't we just make them drop an object(like beetles in Atonement/our current birds do) that can -look- like a corpse, that you can GATHER from to get a skin and carcass?


I thought about it. But clusters are a pain in the ass to configure. If Staff want to do that, that's on them. The skillcheck for clusters, IIRC, don't work too well.
Image
User avatar
Tiamat
Honored Elf
 
Posts: 388
Joined: Fri Oct 04, 2013 4:08 pm

Re: Hunting Crafts: Snaring

Postby soiacc » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:19 pm

If you hide, the rabbit won't run away as quickly. And yes you can hide before and while performing the craft. Tested it.
User avatar
soiacc
Honored Dwarf
 
Posts: 140
Joined: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:27 am

Re: Hunting Crafts: Snaring

Postby Songweaver » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:24 am

I think that I might be able to help with this conundrum. Will consider it and reach out to Tiamat/Taurgalas later today.
User avatar
Songweaver
Ent Sapling
 
Posts: 527
Joined: Thu Oct 10, 2013 5:21 pm
Location: Columbus, Ohio

Re: Hunting Crafts: Snaring

Postby bjg2k1us » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:37 pm

I'd have to agree that these would be better as simple 'flush' crafts like old SOI had. Having to supply materials and tools to build utterly useless 'traps' is mostly just annoying.
User avatar
bjg2k1us
Dwarf Recruit
 
Posts: 50
Joined: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:36 pm


Return to General Discussion

cron

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login

Who is online

Very smart users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

Login