Change font size

General Discussion

Hunting Crafts: Snaring

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Hunting Crafts: Snaring

Postby MrT2G » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:09 pm

Just a quick observation;

Wouldn't it make more sense for the snaring crafts to produce corpses of the relevant animal upon success than actually live versions?

There could be a fail state where the snare breaks and a live version is produced, but otherwise they shouldn't be able to run away.

Right?
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Re: Hunting Crafts: Snaring

Postby Taurgalas » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:03 am

If we could get the craft to operate that way within prog restrictions, sure, that'd be great. BUT there is no such thing as a failmob and half the fun is in trying to take what you're hunting and take it down. So for now, be happy you have viable crafts that give you something to play with. Besides, when you get to the bigger critters, they're not likely to be brought down with a simple snare around their ankle. :P
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby Throttle » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:06 am

Maybe just rename the crafts. They used to be 'flush rabbit' and such instead of snare, which made it easier to explain why it was still able to get away.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby Letters » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:12 am

Snares:

Oh. Topic. Right. Like Throttle said, just changing the name to flush might do it?
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Tiamat » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:27 am

Taurgalas wrote:If we could get the craft to operate that way within prog restrictions, sure, that'd be great. BUT there is no such thing as a failmob and half the fun is in trying to take what you're hunting and take it down. So for now, be happy you have viable crafts that give you something to play with. Besides, when you get to the bigger critters, they're not likely to be brought down with a simple snare around their ankle. :P

Pretty easy. Include a keyword for each mob that only admins will know, so players can't possibly be killed by the rend prog.

Code: Select all
rend xxrabbitcoolsecretkeywordxx -d 100

Blammo. Instant death when the rabbit spawns.
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby Taurgalas » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:54 am

Which again requires a prog - which imms are prohibited from incorporating. Sorry, Tiamat.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.
Taurgalas
Master Ent

Postby MrT2G » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:58 am

Can't you just have two different "spawns" in the craft?

IE if you pass the first check but fail the second, the craft spawns a live rabbit. BUT if you pass the first and second checks, the craft spawns a corpse? I'm not suggesting the craft spawns then kills the rabbit. It could even be a generic craft item like, "a dead, snared rabbit" which is skinned and produces a rabbit carcass.

I'm not talking about later crafts which bring in the larger game, but it is just silly for a "snared" rabbit to suddenly take off 3 rooms when it sees a player.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby Tiamat » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:19 pm

MrT2G wrote:Can't you just have two different "spawns" in the craft?

IE if you pass the first check but fail the second, the craft spawns a live rabbit. BUT if you pass the first and second checks, the craft spawns a corpse? I'm not suggesting the craft spawns then kills the rabbit. It could even be a generic craft item like, "a dead, snared rabbit" which is skinned and produces a rabbit carcass.

I'm not talking about later crafts which bring in the larger game, but it is just silly for a "snared" rabbit to suddenly take off 3 rooms when it sees a player.

You could manually make a "carcass" object per hunting craft. The way the corpses are coded, though, mean that you'd be hard-pressed to make an object that also gives a pelt that ISN'T the actual corpse object. Progs aren't apparently allowed, so you can't solve it that way.

I suppose if it's small enough game, you could have the craft just spawn the pelt and carcass separately. Since it's small game, I don't think it'd matter too much that you get a freebie pelt.
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby MrT2G » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:21 pm

lol, this becoming way too complicated.

I thought it'd be an easy fix.

Not a fan of the pelt/carcass solution personally.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby Tiamat » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:25 pm

MrT2G wrote:lol, this becoming way too complicated.

There's reasons why it's done a certain way. The explanations are often complex. :p That said, you can't have it both ways. Either you get a carcass only (or with an independently loaded pelt), or you get to deal with rabbits that bolt away faster than the Flash. Those are codedly the options I see available with this engine. Perhaps another Staffer can give more insight.
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby MrT2G » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:36 pm

Im just gonna drop it and deal with it, I suppose. :mrgreen:
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby tehkory » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:40 pm

Tiamat wrote:
MrT2G wrote:lol, this becoming way too complicated.

There's reasons why it's done a certain way. The explanations are often complex. :p That said, you can't have it both ways. Either you get a carcass only (or with an independently loaded pelt), or you get to deal with rabbits that bolt away faster than the Flash. Those are codedly the options I see available with this engine. Perhaps another Staffer can give more insight.

Why don't we just make them drop an object(like beetles in Atonement/our current birds do) that can -look- like a corpse, that you can GATHER from to get a skin and carcass?
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Tiamat » Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:43 pm

tehkory wrote:Why don't we just make them drop an object(like beetles in Atonement/our current birds do) that can -look- like a corpse, that you can GATHER from to get a skin and carcass?

I thought about it. But clusters are a pain in the ass to configure. If Staff want to do that, that's on them. The skillcheck for clusters, IIRC, don't work too well.
Tiamat
Honored Elf

Postby soiacc » Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:19 pm

If you hide, the rabbit won't run away as quickly. And yes you can hide before and while performing the craft. Tested it.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby Songweaver » Wed Jun 11, 2014 7:24 am

I think that I might be able to help with this conundrum. Will consider it and reach out to Tiamat/Taurgalas later today.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby bjg2k1us » Wed Jun 11, 2014 4:37 pm

I'd have to agree that these would be better as simple 'flush' crafts like old SOI had. Having to supply materials and tools to build utterly useless 'traps' is mostly just annoying.
bjg2k1us
Dwarf Recruit

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login