It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:29 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Utterby

Utterby

Utterby Wish List

A place for Staff and players alike to use to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. No IC info, please.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Re: Utterby Wish List

Postby krelm » Wed Jun 11, 2014 10:30 pm

Songweaver wrote:NPC archers on palisade walls, please.

On a related note, considering the code has been heavily modified since SoI, I don't think these would work anymore without more coding.

I mean I could be wrong, but as it stands PCs can't load bows from quivers. Don't see how NPCs would be able to.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby soiacc » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:13 pm

I loaded a longbow from a quiver, don't know about the other kinds.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby krelm » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:14 pm

Longbows are the only ones that work.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Songweaver » Wed Jun 11, 2014 11:44 pm

Definitely ways to rig it, and totally worth it for both spheres.

Edited to add: River objects seem to have a limited amount of water to be used in filling containers or drinking. If I remember right, they need to have their quantity values set to -1 to make them an infinite water source.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby Jeshin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:02 am

I wish players in Utterby will realize that in a tolkien setting there are certain standards of cleanliness / manners. If you keep pretending we're playing ARM, the staff are going to be forced to make small world changes to guide RP.

Like the new and somewhat unpopular public kitchen door fee. At least they're gonna be adding an NPC to buy meat back there too.
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Postby soiacc » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:54 am

Maybe someone should write up a general guide about how most people in Middle Earth would behave. Also, what do we think about homosexuality? I think we should allow it, not for myself, but for anyone who wants to. I think that most people in Middle Earth wouldn't even bat an eye, worrying too much about survival. Tolkien doesn't ever mention it, for or against, so I think we have a choice. I personally think in any society, there would be people who would be gay. And remember, Tolkien modeled the place off of England, so...that's almost a nod to it right there. :lol:

England, London - Gay Pride Festival - Man dressed as the Queen
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby Throttle » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:21 am

Homosexuality has never come up in Tolkien's works so I don't think any official judgment would be suitable. To be frank, due to the absence of any references, I think it's best not to force people to react to it. I don't mean to encourage some kind of "don't ask, don't tell" policy in a negative manner, but I think it should probably be treated the same way we (don't) treat gender roles in-game: gloss over it and don't make it a central aspect of your roleplay, because it's guaranteed to clash either with the source material or with the spirit of the game.

As for behaviour, I think it has been largely okay except for the language some people are using. I'd much prefer not to see denizens of Middle-Earth going around spewing "shit, snarfagle, ass" etc., or making direct references to God or hell. It's entirely possible to portray colourful language without resorting to wildly jarring, anachronistic and un-Tolkienesque words. That aside, I think people are embracing the setting well enough.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby hobbitboots » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:54 am

If we want to talk about gender roles and/or homosexuality, better go ahead and make a new thread. Some of us have rather passionate views on those topics.
hobbitboots
Dwarf Recruit

Postby sod » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:32 am

If we want to start on it, female characters should be lumped into glossing over gender, too, as there really isn't a lot to go on in Tolkein's world. I think a measure of imagination has been required help to fill in that gap, as most female-playing players probably have in all of SoI's long years.

Yeah. Maybe a new thread would be appropriate for this.
sod
Forum Hobbit

Postby Icarus » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:35 am

Yeah... move that to a new thread. Or hold off on it for a few weeks. Who cares who you sleep with, if you don't have a grate for your fire?!
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby RiderOnTheStorm » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:43 am

Icarus wrote:Yeah... move that to a new thread. Or hold off on it for a few weeks. Who cares who you sleep with, if you don't have a grate for your fire?!

THE FIRE OF LOOOOOOVE!
RiderOnTheStorm
Elf Recruit

Postby soiacc » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:14 pm

I know it's early, but...player houses! I see the range from small one room hut/cottages with a small hearth, that are easy to build to larger multiple room cabin/farmhouses with large fireplaces/woodstoves that take a lot more resources to build. I see people settling out on the eastern side, once farming is implemented as well as hunters with smokehouses, etc...

I would also like to see build crude-outhouse and a build nice-outhouse.
Last edited by soiacc on Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby Fatherandy » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:17 pm

soiacc wrote:I know it's early, but...player houses! I see the range from small one room hut/cottages with a small hearth, that are easy to build to larger multiple room cabin/farmhouses with large fireplaces/woodstoves that take a lot more resources to build. I see people settling out on the eastern side, once farming is implemented as well as hunters with smokehouses, etc...

Houses are a lot of staff-labor / upkeep.

Atonement had Room Rental code, though, that allowed players to "rent rooms at the Inn" which built a custom, persistent space for the player. A one-room "home" in the Inn with a nice fireplace and a bed would certainly be a worthy thing for some folks to invest in.

Should still be doable.
Fatherandy
Forum Hobbit

Postby soiacc » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:32 pm

I don't see it having to be staff intensive. I think if everything is put into a grid, and each plot of land is set aside, it could work. You could have small plots and large plots. I don't see it being expensive, beyond the materials. Since we're supposed to be settlers and people have brought their families, it makes sense for us to have homes for them and for those who want it. Cottage-small Cabin-small Cabin-Large Farmhouse-Small Farmhouse-Large. You would need to clear land, make the foundation and hearth and then the walls and roof. You could make them like Harshlands, the enterable cottages/houses, if that's too much work. I would make them more realistic though, I didn't like that the room descriptions would be like this place sleeps six, with rooms and blah, but it'd only have the one room. I think they've upgraded them recently, but I haven't seen them. The same could be used for something like the stone enclosures/corrals they have too, for keeping crops and livestock and what not.

ETA: I think the object houses are a better idea, actually. Because it would allow more cabins/cottages in the same room, so you'd see A group of small cabins are set out here, or something and then you'd see...

A $color cabin is here.
A $color cabin is here.
A $color cabin is here.

The objects would have the same cookie cutter description and then after the only thing that staff might want to do is offer people a chance to change the interior description, which could be done easily by sending in a ticket.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby ebp72992 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:45 pm

I like the idea Soiacc, but I could see people just dedicating all their time and resources to be 'one of the pc's with their own house' and then just roleplaying with a pc or two in their safe little bubble. I think since it's a brand new game, maybe we should force the player population to interact with eachother more with public areas, or it could turn into PC's just hanging around in their exclusive houses all the time. Happened alot in atonement/parallel.
ebp72992
Verified Member

Postby Icarus » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:49 pm

*adds a burn house down craft, which kills the pc if they are in it*
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Nyneve » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:05 pm

RiderOnTheStorm wrote:
Icarus wrote:Yeah... move that to a new thread. Or hold off on it for a few weeks. Who cares who you sleep with, if you don't have a grate for your fire?!

THE FIRE OF LOOOOOOVE!

I made one!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=838
“Then he called him Maeglin, which is Sharp Glance, for he perceived that the eyes of his son were more piercing than his own, and his thought could read the secrets of hearts beyond the mist of words.”
Nyneve
Dwarf Recruit

Postby soiacc » Thu Jun 12, 2014 3:59 pm

So, no farms? People are going to keep coming in on barges and the town isn't very big as it is. Can you imagine in an in game year?
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby Erythil » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:36 pm

I guess I'll issue an apology for having used profanity on my character. I figured that these were salt-of-the-earth rough-and-tumble frontiersmen, and that things could be a little grittier than in a city like Minas Tirith.

Also, let's not kid ourselves -- Tolkein was a hardcore Catholic of many decades ago, a much more traditional time. I think it's highly likely that homosexuality doesn't figure into his writings because he disapproved of it as a whole. I'm not saying we should enforce his values, as modern sensibilities are obviously different, but I think we should acknowledge we're probably diverging from the spirit of the source material.

I'll also issue a vote in favor of player housing. I think it really fits the frontier-settlement theme, and I don't see how rooms at an inn are any less likely to cause people to cloister themselves off. Some degree of personal space is necessary; eventually we're going to start having too much stuff to haul it all around on our backs all the time.

I think it also provides something for people to work towards, and a greater amount of investment in both setting and character. It also provides a use and revenue stream for a lot of crafts (like earthenware) that might otherwise be largely useless.
Erythil
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Onasaki » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:14 pm

Actually, Tolkien was an Atheist for a while, until he met C.S. Lewis, who converted him to Catholicism. Nice little bit of trivia, there. (At least, I think it's trivia.)

That said, could an Imm put this in the Utterby thread? Since it's /for/ Utterby?
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby tehkory » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:16 pm

Onasaki wrote:Actually, Tolkien was an Atheist for a while, until he met C.S. Lewis, who converted him to Catholicism. Nice little bit of trivia, there. (At least, I think it's trivia.)

That said, could an Imm put this in the Utterby thread? Since it's /for/ Utterby?

You've reversed it. Tolkien converted C.S. Lewis to Christianity, though he himself chose Anglicanism.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby Hazgarn » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:35 pm

Erythil wrote:I guess I'll issue an apology for having used profanity on my character. I figured that these were salt-of-the-earth rough-and-tumble frontiersmen, and that things could be a little grittier than in a city like Minas Tirith.

This might be best moved to the other thread, but the issue, I think, isn't so much swearing itself (there is no reason not to add color to the characters' language of these rough-and-tumble frontiersmen) so much as the choice of vocabulary in swearing.
SOI Mirkwood Map
SOI Wilderlands Map

I am also a Guide. Feel free to contact me through AIM or PM with questions about the game.
Hazgarn
Cartographer

Postby Songweaver » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:15 pm

Repair kits, or the ability to buy basic armor on the cheap. The newbie armor gets trashed really easily because of it being low quality cloth.
Songweaver
Ent Sapling

Postby MrDvAnt » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:12 pm

Songweaver wrote:Repair kits, or the ability to buy basic armor on the cheap. The newbie armor gets trashed really easily because of it being low quality cloth.

Indeed.
MrDvAnt
Honored Elf

Postby Raukran » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:10 pm

I wouldn't mind seeing a NPC on the docks that buys fish. Fishing has quite a long timer, and in comparison to hunting where you're able to hunt game that you don't scout or flush out yourself, you're limited to at best getting one fish roughly every hour. I'm assuming that the inn will buy fish either cleaned or butchered, but much of the inn's balance is tied up with the hunters selling meat. If this idea of a fish monger or someone else buying fish is too much, it can likewise be offset by the need to clean them first.
I am not responsible for the actions of my characters.
Raukran
Unverified User

PreviousNext

Return to Utterby

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login