It is currently Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:01 pm
Change font size

General Discussion

Question on Organizations...

Discuss game issues here.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Question on Organizations...

Postby Winthrope » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:25 am

So I just joined The Merchant Guard, and was wondering how all of this worked. What I mean is... is there pay involved? What kinds of duties would an armorer perform in particular? Who do I report to? Well, that last one I can find out easily enough IC. I guess maybe I should've asked before joining, or while I was logged on, but life caught up with me and I had to log off. I would've joined the Guard either way; it makes sense for my character.

Sorry if I seem like I don't know anything. I'm just a total noob at SoI ("What? I can actually TREAT someone's wounds???") and honestly am not used to this system. At all. Seems fun so far though.
Winthrope
Verified Member

Re: Question on Organizations...

Postby Letters » Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:47 am

Wait up to the weekend, I'd say. The game has been open for four days. The clans aren't fully open yet. Going by the pace of things so far, I'm guessing they will get some more details then (just guessing). For now, your character is a vagrant who just wandered in off a boat that came down river and isn't exactly employed just yet. Same applies to essentially all PCs for now, the employees of the Ironwood Inn notwithstanding.
A skeletal, pig-tailed-haired male teen says,
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Winthrope » Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:56 pm

Ah that's fine, I don't mind the wait.

What do clans tend to do on SoI in general? That's what I'm mostly curious about now.
Winthrope
Verified Member

Postby Letters » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:08 pm

Winthrope wrote:Ah that's fine, I don't mind the wait.

What do clans tend to do on SoI in general? That's what I'm mostly curious about now.

Honestly, I don't think there's a straightforward answer there, and I played SoI from 2006 on. :P

To elaborate: clans on old SoI tended to have specific purposes, and there were many of them. In Gondor, for example, you had at various intervals, such things as the Eastern Vanguard - a professional military unit - or the Fellowships - craft guilds - or City Watch units, or hunting companies, and so on. Mordor tended to have a bunch of combatant outfits. In places like Caolafon, it became less well-defined, with just the Wardenry and the Guild - a somewhat military crew (with some obscenely powerful PCs) and a whole collective of hunters, farmers, miners and crafters.

There's bound to be some influence from Atonement and Parallel here. On those games, clans were gangs, often with some sort of culture, but they were very very heavily influenced by the PCs in them, much more than by documentation, and you had borderline cults of personality being developed too.

What I think your question boils down to, though, is this: are clans here like Armageddon clans? Simple answer: no. Complex answer: no. Unless SoI's staff have suddenly drastically changed their stance from years gone by, PCs can and do often have a considerable impact on the clans they are in. If there's a mostly OOC glass ceiling, I've not ever bumped into it. I'd also hazard that the daily activities of the clans here will largely be down to PCs. We've never gone in for schedules and stuff.
"Prepare to meet your doom, loping man. It is I, loitering person, your nemesis."
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby soiacc » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:41 pm

Clans are not gangs here, though. Unless there happens to be a thieving clan, but I just don't see it in this setting when your life is partially dependent on everyone else. For food, protection, etc, maybe once we get to Laketown, there I could see it.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby Jeshin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:42 pm

TO MY KNOWLEDGE....

The Lodge aka Mill is for hunters/crafters and general tradefolk.

The militia aka Guard is for hunters/soldiers and general defending the settlement folk.

The Ironwood aka Inn is for the brewers, bakers, and general hospitality folk.

Of these groups, the Ironwood is almost fully staffed at the moment though it appears a couple of slots still exist for the right skillset. The other two are coming online since last night and appear to be growing at a good clip.

The purpose of these groups are to fulfill roles. Mill, production of goods. Guard, protection of settlement and trade. Inn, RP hub and place for food and drink. I -believe- all these groups will provide food/room as part of employment and may include pay or may not.

The utterby settlement appears to be kind of a working community... Imagine that it's a coal town. Everyone works for the coal mining company, but not everyone mines coal. The people who live there but work outside the 'system' tend to either be highly specialized or just do it yourselfers. They end up interacting with the company all the same since everything in the settlement pays out to the Master (Mayor)
Jeshin
Elf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:51 pm

I like the coal town analogy.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby Letters » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:55 pm

soiacc wrote:Clans are not gangs here, though. Unless there happens to be a thieving clan, but I just don't see it in this setting when your life is partially dependent on everyone else. For food, protection, etc, maybe once we get to Laketown, there I could see it.

Did you just skim my post, pick out a single word from it, and put up a straw man for reasons entirely unbeknownst to me? :|
Letters
Elf Recruit

Postby Throttle » Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:57 pm

There's probably going to be a lot of overlap between the Lodge and the Guard since you can be a member of both, unlike past RPIs where you have usually been limited to one clan at a time (and particularly Armageddon with its rigid class-based skill system). Combat is probably going to be a communal thing in any case, with groups heading out with as many people as they can dredge up regardless of affiliation.

It's unlikely that the clans are going to be very strongly defined and separate for Alpha, they'll probably serve mainly to channel roleplay and staff-driven story moreso than define individual PCs. Most anyone with combat skills will join the Guard and most anyone with crafting skills is going to join the Lodge, with many doing both.
You notice a gigantic orb spider with raw-umber patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a giant orb spider with night patterning's attention shift toward you!
You notice a rugged orb spider with sepia patterning's attention shift toward you!
Throttle
Honored Elf

Postby soiacc » Thu Jun 12, 2014 2:20 pm

Letters wrote:
soiacc wrote:Clans are not gangs here, though. Unless there happens to be a thieving clan, but I just don't see it in this setting when your life is partially dependent on everyone else. For food, protection, etc, maybe once we get to Laketown, there I could see it.

Did you just skim my post, pick out a single word from it, and put up a straw man for reasons entirely unbeknownst to me? :|

No, I wasn't responding to your post really, just making it clear that the clans in this game aren't exactly like the ones in Atonement, which were less structured and more Lord of the Flies than the ones in SOI and by structured, I mean we know who the boss is, everyone else is replaceable without the whole place shutting down if someone stores/dies whatever.
soiacc
Honored Dwarf

Postby toofast » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:39 pm

soiacc wrote:
Letters wrote:

No, I wasn't responding to your post really, just making it clear that the clans in this game aren't exactly like the ones in Atonement, which were less structured and more Lord of the Flies than the ones in SOI and by structured, I mean we know who the boss is, everyone else is replaceable without the whole place shutting down if someone stores/dies whatever.

And for reference, the orc sphere is exactly the opposite. The clans in the orc sphere are less structured and more Lord of the Flies than the ones in the human sphere.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Return to General Discussion

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login