It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:37 pm
Change font size
Forum Home Public Orcs

Orcs

Orc lingo and you.

All things yrkin. A place for Staff and players alike to use this space to coordinate RPTs and in-game events. Please keep in-character information off of this board.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Orc lingo and you.

Postby Nan0technician » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:12 pm

I'd like to make a documented spot for all the words commonly spoken that some may not know OOCly that should be know ICly and perhaps some other/new words we can add to it.

What are some of the words and meanings...

Blackspeech

Slaptail - Beaver
Skai and sha - used as interjections, not nouns. "Skai, you stupid snaga!"
Snaga - a weak orc
Uruk - a strong orc
Sow - a lady orc
Pushdug - crap
Long-ears - elves
Tarks/pinkies - humans
Tree-rats - squirrels
Shiney/Shinies-- Coins, money

I'll think of more but I am a complete newb and working through this trying to learn as I go.
Last edited by Nan0technician on Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Nan0technician
Verified Member

Re: Orc lingo and you.

Postby krelm » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:26 pm

Skai and sha - used as interjections, not nouns. "Skai, you stupid snaga!"
Snaga - a weak orc
Uruk - a strong orc
Sow/Slit - a lady orc
Pushdug - crap
Long-ears - elves
Tarks/pinkies - humans
Tree-rats - squirrels

And that's all I can think of at the moment.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Red » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:28 pm

Maggot is common.
Red
Forum Hobbit

Postby LadyMizra » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:37 pm

Shiney/Shinies-- Coins, money
LadyMizra
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Japheth » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:38 pm

Here is a source on a few of the known Black-Speech words in Tolkien's work, many of which have traditionally been used by Orcs in SOI's cannon (particularly things like Snaga, Skai, Pushdug, etc.)

http://folk.uib.no/hnohf/blackspeech.htm

Additionally, the words "Tark" (Human) and "Ghash" (Fire) are used by Morian Orcs in the series and not specifically identified as Black-Speech, but have also traditionally been used in SOI Cannon as orcish lexicon.
Do unto others, and then run away
http://www.futuremud.com
Japheth
Staffer Emeritus

Postby LadyMizra » Thu Jun 12, 2014 8:55 pm

rut-sex
'rutteh'-penis
LadyMizra
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Nimrod » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:08 pm

Please use the term 'sow' to refer to females rather than the old standard. Thanks.
The greatest enemy to propaganda or even counter-propaganda is open, unadulterated channels of free opinion.
Nimrod
Game Lead

Postby LadyMizra » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:11 pm

Nimrod wrote:Please use the term 'sow' to refer to females rather than the old standard. Thanks.

Not to be rude, or anything, but why? Orcs are orcs, killers, murderers, etc... Why wouldn't they call a female a slit? It's offensive yes, but they're orcs. That's something they would say, and sow is just as offensive. I'm a feminist irl, but I see no problem with using an offensive term icly, because it makes sense. Orcs would say slit. I see no need to change it.
LadyMizra
Dwarf Recruit

Postby MrT2G » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:21 pm

Personally, my un-LOTR educated self has the opinion that many of these terms were slang in Minas Morgul, and we should concoct our own.

Just my 5 cents.
A curvy, copper-haired woman drops a small, strawberry-blonde toddler girl.
MrT2G
Elf Recruit

Postby WorkerDrone » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:22 pm

I'll just say I don't think orcs need bother being politically correct, and should think less on it than even humans would in the other sphere.
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Postby Onasaki » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:34 pm

I have to agree with Mizra and Worker here. Orcs are anything but subtle. (Not counting everyone with sneak and hide out the wazzoo) And the word has been part of the Vocab since I first made an Orc in the original SOI.

I don't see any reason to change that now.
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby toofast » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:38 pm

Apparently SoI is going the whole "men and females are 100% equal but we still want to follow canon to the T" route. Not just in the human sphere, but... trying to push it into the orc sphere, I guess? I don't know, I think it's silly.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Thu Jun 12, 2014 9:47 pm

Honestly? It's that sensitive line where you can butcher someone onscreen, but you show a boob and every freaks the heck out. We have legal obligations upstairs to keep things at a /certain/ level, and we just honest to goodness feel like "Slit" could be one of those things that gets up in hot water with someone we /really/ don't want to be in hot water for.

So put yourselves in our shoes.

I am concerned somewhat about blackspeech. We are /not/ beholden to any of the canonical decisions and shifts that were made in the past. Let me repeat that: we are not beholden to ANY of the shifts in canon for gameplay purposes that past imms did. While words, some words, of Black Speech are in our language, they should be understood as debasements, and I don't think that the lexicon of the language should perhaps inform our current IG vocabulary too much.

And yes, orcs will be canonical.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby krelm » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:17 pm

You can't take skai and sha from me. I'll stop saying everything else before I stop saying skai and sha.
One among the fence.
krelm
Calce Ferio asini Operarius

Postby Onasaki » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:19 pm

krelm wrote:You can't take skai and sha from me. I'll stop saying everything else before I stop saying skai and sha.

Seconded. >.>
I have two forces by my side
One's the truth and one's a lie
Which one's which I cannot tell
This enigma is my hell

Onasaki
Honored Elf

Postby toofast » Thu Jun 12, 2014 10:20 pm

Personally, skai and sha offend me deeply. Please ban Krelm and Onasaki
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby Yoink » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:25 am

How about we just combine the two, load in some trumpet and saxophone items, start up a mad Orcish ska band and tour Middle-Earth?
Droll wrote:You know they are going to sic an ent on us right?
Forest fire prpt tonight. Bring torches.
Yoink
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Icarus » Fri Jun 13, 2014 4:38 am

Yah I don't care about Sha or Skai.

I don't particularly like Uruk, as it confuses me on a continual basis. But I'll worry about phasing that out later on.
[Petition: Player] I am ready to begin my interdimensional adventure.

A mutilated little orc murmurs, nodding as he mutters,
"I fought good today. Yuh. Fought good, 'specially for bein' the kitchen-snaga. Yuh, I did."
Icarus
Staffer Emeritus

Postby toofast » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:59 am

It's 1984 all over again. Slit never existed. We're all happy.
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby LadyMizra » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:26 am

I would really like to know what kind of legal ramifications can come from using a word like slit. Basically, the purpose of the word slit is to refer to females in a derogatory manner. Slit, sow, woolies, bitch, etc... They are all the same. Eliminating one word and replacing it with another is silly, because in the end, they are all equally offensive.

I have never ever seen a mud/mush etc get in legal trouble over the use of words, no matter how offensive. They are words. This is silly.
LadyMizra
Dwarf Recruit

Postby Hawkwind » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:20 pm

LadyMizra wrote:I would really like to know what kind of legal ramifications can come from using a word like slit. Basically, the purpose of the word slit is to refer to females in a derogatory manner. Slit, sow, woolies, bitch, etc... They are all the same. Eliminating one word and replacing it with another is silly, because in the end, they are all equally offensive.

I have never ever seen a mud/mush etc get in legal trouble over the use of words, no matter how offensive. They are words. This is silly.

The word slit is utterly sexual in context, we all know what it refers too. We are a different game than those that had a more lax ruling on vulgarity. Arguably there are different degrees of offense to all those words.
JESUS CHRIST, THE HELIUM!
PS4 Handle - Roadhawkes
Tags Taken: Eru I, Mavinero I.
Hawkwind
Honored Elf

Postby tehkory » Fri Jun 13, 2014 12:39 pm

LadyMizra wrote:I would really like to know what kind of legal ramifications can come from using a word like slit. Basically, the purpose of the word slit is to refer to females in a derogatory manner. Slit, sow, woolies, bitch, etc... They are all the same. Eliminating one word and replacing it with another is silly, because in the end, they are all equally offensive.

You don't know your history, then. SoI-that-was once was contacted by then Tolkien Enterprises(now Middle-Earth Enterprises), aka the Saul Zaentzs Company. It's an event most of the older players remember, but given any sorts of legal issues that might be involved, it's not something we discuss overmuch. In short, we tend to toe the line when it comes to Staff requests, out of respect/concern for the game.
tehkory
Master Ent

Postby LadyMizra » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:09 pm

To Hawkwind, yes, but so is the word woolies. It refers to the vagina, so are we going to ban the word vagina in game? (Or crazy orc mudsex for that matter?). And to Tehkory, I did hear from a friend about that history, and it was resolved so I heard. In reality this game is like a giant fanfiction, that we all are writing. Are they going to sue the writers of the people who wrote fanfiction about Gandalf snarfagling all the hobbits in the Shire? (Yes this exists.) No, because it's fanfiction. And I don't think they will come in and look at the word slit and freak out. If they were going to be bothered by the word slit, then they would be bothered by the killing, murdering, torture, etc in the game. There is a lot in tis game that isn't PG because we're adults. Slit is the least of our problems. Pussy, woolies, slit, vagina, should not be such scary frightening words that we need to fear lawsuit over. Considering it's coded in game that we can get wounded in the groin and I've already had to rp dropping my pants to get a wound down there looked at.... I seriously think the admins have shaky grounds to be trying to ban one word.
LadyMizra
Dwarf Recruit

Postby toofast » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:12 pm

We need to get the author of that fanfic in here to play SoI. Hell yeah. :nom:
toofast
Elf Recruit

Postby WorkerDrone » Fri Jun 13, 2014 1:17 pm

To be fair actually, I wouldn't care if the game was made strictly PG-13 consent or not, up to and including forcing FTBs on any and all scenes of explicit sexual conduct.

But that's just me!
I hope you die right now, will you drink my chemical?

Brian wrote:See, the thing that I admire about WorkerDrone is that he's an optimist!

:lol:
WorkerDrone
Guide

Next

Return to Orcs

Connect

FacebookTwitter

Login