The best and worst of crafts

Suggest crafts, talk about existing crafts, debate the finer points of your craftiness.

Moderator: Elder Staff

Taurgalas
Master Ent

The best and worst of crafts

Post by Taurgalas » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:50 pm

As we're doing some major, major overhauls in the near future, I want to know what it is you like best in crafts (even if you're not a crafter predominantly) and what it is you hate most about our crafts.

This isn't an effort to find bugs and fix them (we have more than enough of those) but to find what isn't broke so let's avoid fixing... and what you want to see.

I make no promises that you'll see exactly what you want, but I'd still like to know your thoughts.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.

tehkory
Master Ent

Re: The best and worst of crafts

Post by tehkory » Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:42 pm

Artisan rolls are wonderful--having just that much more to differentiate each item and each crafter is neat. Put them on every object. Clothing! Food! _Everything_ deserves artisan rolls.

Not enough objects/crafts let you decorate. This is a technical/objective thing, and I know you were hoping for subjective more, but--decorate is the second best thing to happy to crafting.

Crafts take too long. Making chainmail can take an hour or more RL per day. Less steps in each craft, less time between each craft, less crafts over-all. We have lives, and even when we don't, we want to play the game, not wait for a craft to finish. I want to go roleplay.

Taurgalas
Master Ent

Post by Taurgalas » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:48 am

Thank you! This does actually shift some of the revisions to standardize and stabilize some things. Condensing is a large part of what we're looking at managing with revisions.
[Petition:***] Why is there a pretty pink pony with doe eyes and a party-balloon cutie mark in the group?

*** orc player name edited out for his/her own protection.

PhocsM
Forum Hobbit

Post by PhocsM » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:51 pm

I agree with Kory, the artisanal rolls are awesome and the higher the skill the more you can craft so the more RL time you spend doing it.
I'd like to add I don;t like the crafting tables, but just because if they don;t have enough uses for what you want to do you have to craft something else to be able to restock them.
The rest I think is fine, the crafting system is what made me take the decision to make SoI my mudding home.
"A lithe, magic orange fox with a maniacal grin stares at you with beady eyes"